View Single Post
Old 12-15-2019, 03:59 PM   #5
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
My reactions were very close to gmw’s. Maurice was so self-absorbed, immature and blind that I felt like throwing the book too For a book about love and hate, none the relationships Greene portrayed showed much depth. Even his portrayal divine love was just superstition, possession and personal defeat.

I was immediately put off by the pettiness of the narrator and wanted to throw in the towel quite soon, but...he hooked me in with that visit to the PI.

And so went the whole book. I didn’t like the people, and thought the sentiment was shallow. The plot was weak, and much of what happened was so improbable, it bordered on absurdity. I’d think “this really isn’t worth my time!” but kept reading to see what would happen next. Does that make it a good book, or me just a fickle reader? In my defence, I did enjoy several of Greene’s general observations, and he could turn a good phrase.

Seriously, I think the strength of the book was that it somehow hooked me into a running dialogue with Greene himself. The people were mostly caricatures, but the author was present throughout the book, and somehow conned me into debating ideas with him.

PS: cross posted with Bookpossum . I do agree that Henry showed more tenderness and depth of character.

Last edited by Victoria; 12-15-2019 at 04:43 PM.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote