View Single Post
Old 05-14-2010, 03:01 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestfalleen View Post
I recently made an epub in InDesign with their "export for Digital Editions" and it works in Digital Editions with no problems, but when I run it through a validator (epub validator) I get a bunch of errors.
You ePub has embedded fonts. These fonts have been 'obfuscated' - that is, changed by a simple algorithm into a form that means that can't just be copied out of the zip folder and used.

Unfortunately, there are currently two font obfuscation algorithms. The one Adobe came up with, with ADE and most other ePub readers understands, and the IDPF Standard method, that almost no-one uses yet, but that is the only one that will pass ePub validation.

If you ePubs are going to be distributed with DRM, try generating them without font encryption. They'll then pass the validation, and the fonts will get encrypted along with the rest of the files.

Alternatively, consider whether or not you really need to embed fonts, or those particular fonts.

It will all get sorted out eventually, and everyone'll be using the IDPF method. But we're not there yet.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote