View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 01:36 AM   #28
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Not-so-satisfactory solution by downgrading (arg...)

A. Problems with pre-pagination
Once I upgraded Sony software from previous version (eBook Library) to newer version (Reader Library) that supports epub version of their store,
- The program (Reader Library) no longer pre-paginates LRF file transfered to PRS-505. It means that new LRF books should be formatted with slow processor of PRS-505, sometimes resulting in crash and reboot.
- Even worse, if I add new books to the reader, all the paginated books lose the formatting all over again.
Since I prefer LRF over epub due to faster page turn, it was very annoying problem.

B. Unsuccessful effort
B1. PRS-505 was not the source of the problem.
I have an older version (2.5.00.09170) of program (eBook Library) in Vista machine and newer version (Reader Library) in XP machine. Using older software on Vista, I could add LRF to PRS-505 without any problem of losing formatting. The tranferred files were all properly pre-paginated. So the problem is with the software or computer but not PRS-505.

B2. Re-installing recent version did not help.
Since I upgraded software without uninstalling the previous version, I tried clean install Reader Library without success. I uninstalled the software, removed uncessary files, reinstalled the most recent version, but the problem was still there.

C. Downgrading
As a result, I decided to uninstall the newer version and downgrade to an older version (2.5.00.09170) of Sony library software (eBook Library). Now I don't have problem with prepagination or losing formatting.

However, please follow the procedure to avoid some problems.

0. Back up all the books. In my case, I liberated all epub books and save the copies in a separate directory. I have no plan to buy books from Sony unless this problem is fixed.

1. Deauthorize the current computer from Reader Library program. If you do not do this, the same computer will stay authorized multiple times, wasting the slots allowed for authorization.

2. Uninstall software (Reader Library) using control panel

3. Remove unnecessary files according to the following post.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40987
When this step was skipped, older version of ebook library did not show left-hand side menu (Library/Status/ebook Store/Local Drive...) properly once installed.

4. Reboot if you would like and install the older version of Sony ebook library.

D. Disclaimer
I contacted several members and I know that some of them do not have any problem of pre-pagination with the recent version of Reader Library. So, try downgrading only if you
- Have the same problem as I do
- Use LRF heavily,
- Do not buy from Sony store

If someone figures out how to pre-paginates LRF using the recent software without any problem, please let us know. For now, I will just stick with the older version of the software.

Last edited by soilwork; 01-14-2010 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Typo
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote