View Single Post
Old 04-30-2007, 01:09 PM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarusbop
However, the main point is - a few years ago I went to a book signing by quite a well known author of Sci-Fi, he was more than happy to hear from me that the 'unauthorised' lending of one of his books, had resulted in my brother in law, buying his entire published works, and recommending them to his friends...
Yeah, that's not so much "fair use" as much as it is "promotional losses," in other words, depending on essentially free samples to bring in more sales that offset the cost of the sample. That's a traditional marketing tactic in print literature, and there's no reason it can't be as effective a tactic with e-books.

Mind you, this only works when the cost of the book is low enough to encourage people to buy to support the author, instead of being so high that people want to steal it to spite the author. No DRM required.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote