View Single Post
Old 11-11-2023, 11:49 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackm8 View Post
I don't know Vellum, but am familiar with Sigil and Indesign. They don't support Amazon's .azw format on export. Epub is available, though. Indesign supports at least 3.0 .epub. I was wondering if publishers have anything else available to them, or is it all just Indesign to .epub, then that .epub converted to .azw?
AFAIK no-one sends azw3 to Amazon for publishing, it's epub. Amazon then convert to mobi, azw3, kfx etc based on what model the customer has or if an app and how it's delivered.

Properly done docx to Calibre or Sigil and converted to epub can easily be better than badly misused Vellum or InDesign. InDesign is now rented and expensive and produces awful epub because it's a kuldge being that it's really a tool for paper publishing (and for that if it's a novel, then PDF export from a properly formatted docx can be as good and perfect for POD or full print runs.

Calibre can automatically convert docx paragraph styles to CSS. I think Sigil needs a user supplied table. However Sigil may be better for text books or other content that's not mostly text. Final calibre epub may need CSS for images manually edited.

Fixed layout is different.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote