View Single Post
Old 08-02-2023, 06:36 PM   #173
fermin
Enthusiast
fermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with others

Device: iOS
Hi everybody

I'm in the same situation - long time Marvin user, also originally paid for it - and gladly. And while it has been great, the time to move on has unfortunately finally come. I do know about the trick using iMazing, and I actually have a licensed copy of iMazing. But Marvin has begun to show some errors, for example marking a word and looking for a definition or searching for it on the Internet locks up the whole app. There's currently no guarantee it will even work on iOS 17 and/or iPhone 15.

In my mighty quest to replace Marvin I've looked at and tried:
- KyBook 3
- FBReader
- MapleRead
- Yomu
- PocketBook
- Apple iBooks
- Kindle
- tiReader
- Aldiko Next
- BookFusion
- Bookmate
- ... and some others I have forgotten about because the moment I wanted to start them they either crashed or looked their age...
- i2reader Cloud

Of some apps I also purchased the full version, sometimes in the hopes to unlock a missing feature. And while some of the apps have been good, there was always something missing.

But I think I found my replacement. It's the last app in my list, i2reader Cloud. It can be found at http://en.i2reader.net/

My personal selection criteria - and I'm well aware that your mileages will vary - have been:
- Not "abandon-ware". Regular updates; it doesn't have to be every two weeks. But updated in the last 1-2 years, even if it's only "fixed compatibility with iOS 16" or "fixed display on new iPhone 14 Pro with 'dynamic island'" or something similar is good enough.
- Download books from an OPDS catalog with authentication.
- Show metadata on downloaded books, at least: Author(s), title, series name, number of book in series. Bonus if it also shows categories.
- Should use pretty much the whole screen, no unnecessary white space on top and bottom of screen.
- Horizontal scrolling, NO animation.
- Navigate one page back on left edge of screen and to next page on right edge of screen.
- Customizable style - I prefer white background and black letters. But in combination with easily reachable adjustment settings for screen brightness.
- I don't mind paying for the App, but prefer a one-time purchase instead of a monthly/yearly subscription. (on the other hand, if the author releases a "major" version every 3-4 years I'll probably upgrade and pay just to support their work)

Just to clarify: I'm in no way affiliated with the author. I also don't get a free version for this mini-review, since I also already bought all the in-app purchases; even the ones I'll probably never use like auto-scroll and auto-turning. It amounts to about 9 US$ and is, in my opinion, well worth it to support a developer.

Regards
Fermin
fermin is offline   Reply With Quote