View Single Post
Old 02-03-2023, 03:20 PM   #61
Vlash
Banned
Vlash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Vlash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Vlash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Vlash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Ok, just leaving my 2 cents here saying it works the PaperWhite 3 FW 5.15.1 and that you don't need to have the USB cable on get into SDP mode, you can connect the cable later.

I had some trouble because my the kindle is 6 years old and the USB port is malfunctioning, but you can do it too.

The steps I followed where:

Taking the kindle apart

The glue in the front is strong and will stick back very quickly if you pry the edges open leave them in contact.
It's super easy, but with that in mind:

1. I heated the glue with a hairdryer, makes it a piece of cake to lift the edges
2. You need something thin to pry it open at first. My spatulas where too thick, so I used the tip of a very thin meat cleaver to pry the first edge open
3. START AT THE BOTTOM EDGE, I'm pretty sure if you start at the top or the sides you might easily break it
4. I padded every corner with a credit card, because it easily sticks back together
5. Taking all the screws. THERE IS ONE SCREW BEHIND THE STICKY TAPE ON THE TOP. I didn't know this, had to look a video up to see why the board didn't leave the case.

Overall it's easy to take it apart, but I had to be careful otherwise I'd break something

THE ACTUAL JAILBREAK
1. I used a hard wire to bridge CR501 to TP508. Contacts are much smaller than they look in the photo, but it's easy to bridge them if the wire is hard or you use a staple
2. I opened up MfgTool in the PC and downloaded the hotfix
3. went to the restart prompt under Settings > device options > restart device
4. I don't have 3 hands to manipulate the screen, hold the bridge and connect the cable. If the cable is already connected you enter the transfer mode and the prompt disappears.
5. For this reason, I DID NOT CONNECT THE USB CABLE, IT'S UNECESSARY, held the kindle on its side, against my stomach, held the bridge with one hand and pressed restart with the other.
6. The device just "shutdown" and remained on the splash screen. It worked
7. Connected the USB cable, it took one minute for it to show up in MfgTools, the text written was "Device provided by ... "(the rest was not visible)
8. Clicked start, took 3 minutes to flash. A popcorn pot showed up and it booted normally
9. Installed the hotfix, it takes just a few seconds.
Vlash is offline   Reply With Quote