View Single Post
Old 12-14-2022, 04:59 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I don't really try to replicate print, but I like to keep some feel of the chapter styling, *if* within reason.

On thinking it over, I'll leave "THE END" where present and where not present, I won't add it. I've no way to know whether the author intended it or whether a publisher just stuck it in there for the heck of it.

I have sort of a love/hate relationship with Standard Ebooks. I like what they do, but I feel like their code and semantics get well beyond what *I* feel up for!
I'd agree with all of that. 100%

In general the content is the thing, not the appearance on the paper. It helps to have a different style from the main body for:
Chapter Headings
letters, notes, signs, labels, telegrams, console text, sms, SM messages etc.
Epigrams, preambles, non-chapter headings, captions, marginalia/flushed right notes, inline footnotes.
Lists (and list start character or numbers are manually typed).

I think madness to replicate paper styles, especially if the Published is carried away with SMALL CAPS, drop caps, giant colophons etc. IMO the centred * * * does for a major scene break and ~ for a minor break.

Most styling and formatting (except for maybe poetry) is an invention of the publisher and not in the intent of the author. I offer simpler solutions (always accepted except once) to an author that goes mad on format/style. With one I sent back MSS with over 1000 … and — removed. He'd just discovered how to type them! It was accepted. I had left in some!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote