Thread: Sage Security issues?
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2021, 08:35 PM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
If bluetooth is on, wouldn't it need to do something once in a while to connect to headphones?
Yes, but, it could also say, "I'm not actually playing anything, so why don't I just not do anything. And when I'm asked to play something, then I will try and connect."

And a quick test seems to back this up. The steps I did were:
  1. Closed the book I was reading.
  2. Opened an audiobook. This show "No Bluetooth Connected".
  3. I tapped the play button on the Sage.
  4. The pairing dialog showed. It showed my wireless earphones as a saved device. But, they were in the case and not available to pair.
  5. After a few moment, the TV showed up.
  6. I paired to the TV and the book started playing.
  7. After a few seconds, I exited the book player.
  8. After a few more seconds, I opened the book player again. This showed the device was still paired and when I hit play, it started.
  9. Then I exited the book player again. The TV still showed it was paired (had it's player app up and showed the details of the device and book).
  10. After a few minutes, the TV changed to say "Ready to connect".
  11. I waited another couple of five minutes and opened the audibook again. The device hadn't gone to sleep in this time. This showed "No Bluetooth Connected".
  12. I left it there for a couple of minutes while I caught up on typing these steps. The Bluetooth status did not change.
  13. Tapping play brought up the device list with not connected devices. After a few moment, it paired to the TV and the device list closed.
  14. I had to tap the play button to actually play the book.
  15. Stopping, waiting and then opening the player again, showed the no connected device.
  16. Opening the Bluetooth on my phone and my laptop and scanning for Bluetooth devices did not show the Sage. But, as it is the host device, I don't know what these should show.

All that says to me that the Bluetooth is not actually active except when playing an audiobook and maybe for a short time afterwards. It is definitely dropping the connection to the audio device within five minutes of stopping playing a book. And it isn't automatically connecting to an audio device when I open a book. It is by no means conclusive, but, I really don't think that the Bluetooth is continuously scanning or announcing itself when the audiobook player is not active.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote