View Single Post
Old 12-09-2019, 07:40 AM   #13
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I do have a question about P.D. James...

The only book of hers that I've read recently enough to remember is Death Comes to Pemberley, which I found very disappointing (as a murder mystery, as a period piece, and as a Jane Austen wannabe). It did have its points of interest as a period piece, in terms of how the law worked, but not well presented (IMO).

So, given my obviously negative reaction to that, does she normally do better? Are the Dalgliesh books worth trying?
I thought Death Comes to Pemberley was awful. I rated it one star at Goodreads. The kindest thing I can about it is that its quality must reflect James's being in her dotage. I think her later Dalgliesh books had also slipped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I have just started on the Dalgliesh series, having really enjoyed the TV series way back in the Pleistocene. Making the usual allowances for a first-of-series, I was very impressed, and so far book two is not bad either. Dalgliesh in the first book reminded me of less pretentious, less snobby/effete version of Ngaio Marsh's Roderick Alleyn, perhaps something of a blend between Alleyn and the later Campion. Definitely interesting enough for me to try the first four or five for a taste.
I read the Dalgliesh books back in the day as they came out, but I got tired of them, as I get tired of virtually all mystery series eventually. I usually end of reading one or two out of habit once I'm bored and then realize I'm done.

So, Dalgliesh. I'd put him solidly in that tradition of modern detectives, those who are professional policeman, educated and cultured and introspective, similar to Inspectors Banks and Lynley. I think the snobbery and elitism is still there, but bubbling under. I get bored with all the navel-gazing.

That said, James writes good prose. I do wonder, though, how well the early books in any series hold up, decades later. I suspect many are stale, not achieving classic status. But that's me.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote