Thread: Literary The 2010s • December 2019
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2019, 01:34 PM   #16
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
The other two on my shortlist were the light and cheery Sourdough by Robin Sloan, and The Diary of a Bookseller by Shaun Bythell.

With Sourdough, a book about a woman who is a San Franciscan software engineer that ends up baking popular sourdough bread from a recipe from her favourite bakery that closed nearby, I try to keep remembering to nominate some lighter books in the lit club and this one looks right up my alley, but heavier books keep tempting me too!

As for Diary of a Bookseller, a witty memoir by the person who runs Scotland's largest second-hand bookshop, I really enjoyed the preview, which began in the first page with discussing Orwell's views on booksellers, a mention of Gibbon's Decline and Fall and a mention of a television comedy I like about a bookshop called Black Books. So it's a strong and enjoyable start. I almost nominated it but I see the other club is coincidentally nominating books about books and I don't know if anyone participating in both clubs would want to read two books about reading at the same time.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote