Thread: Literary The Party by Elizabeth Day
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2019, 12:55 AM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I'm glad you are both done and found the book enjoyable. I would like to read more by this author.

Now we can discuss the book with less fear of spoilers. I took notes while I was reading to keep track of what I was thinking about some of the potential twists that may be coming. It will be interesting to review those.

What do you think of the narrative technique? I thought who, when and where were important factors. It alternated between Martin and Lucy who were married (therefore on the same "team") and both unreliable. Would it have worked better with a single narrator or even multiple narrators including Ben and Serena? The timeline was also interesting. I had expected it to be more linear following the party and then the aftermath. Lastly, location was a factor in where the flashbacks were told from. It took me a while to figure out where Lucy was. These all contributed to the aspect of unreliability and lack of trust in what secrets the characters were hiding and what their motivations were for what they were telling the reader/interviewer.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote