View Single Post
Old 06-25-2019, 08:19 PM   #31
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
I think I've been confused because there's also a 4th type, the dual MOBI, which has both KF7 and KF8, if I understand correctly.
It's already drifting far from the original topic... but I'll quickly answer.

The "Dual MOBI" that gets created by KindleGen/Kindle Previewer includes all 3 of those formats.

If you want more discussion on all this, probably best to start a separate topic. (Or just read the many other posts on this... like my 2 Reddit posts explained this all in-depth.)

Quote:
And then a lot of web sites talk about MOBI like it's the go to kindle format.
Yes, it's confusing.

MOBI is the "Kindle Format", MOBI is the name of the "Dual MOBI", and MOBI is also the name for the old MOBI (KF7) file format.

And there's also a ton of mumbo jumbo written out there by non-technical people, so they don't even consider or know of these sub-formats within Kindle... so they just start calling everything MOBI.

Quote:
Hitch convinced me that when uploading here that I should upload the dual MOBI; I was going to extract the KF8 and upload that.
Yes, Hitch is correct.

Amazon only supports files created from their official tools, KindleGen and Kindle Previewer.

The "Dual MOBI" those tools create include:
  • MOBI (KF7)
  • KF8
  • Original Source File
    • They keep this, just in case future Amazon formats come along (like KFX, so now they can go through their backlog, updating old books).

You upload that to Amazon, and Amazon takes care of the rest, then distributes the proper file to the proper device.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 06-25-2019 at 08:25 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote