View Single Post
Old 01-24-2018, 11:53 AM  
mirh
mirh doesn't littermirh doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Tolino Vision HD 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryhte View Post
So, how satisfied are the Tolino 3/4 HD users about hard- and software?
A darn lot.
Hardware-wise.. Well, you have a 300dpi screen and your some-week autonomy.
Then warm light and waterproofness are cool to have too, but you can't say Visions are aliens.

What instead they are C R A Z Y, is how easy they are to "tinker with".
You are like 10 minutes away from installing your favorite manga or pdf reader, or whatever else you might deem useful.
I mean, I guess like this shouldn't be their main selling point (there are literal fully fledged android tablets with e-ink screens for that).
Tolinos are supposed to compete in the "reading or GTFO" market of Kindles and Kobos (with the snappiness and "no experience compromises" this entails)

But a device of the latter category, with *also* total user control is totally unheard of.
Hell, I think there are freaking "smart"phones that are more unfriendly from this point of view.

I swear, it's a no brainier to buy them.

Said this, the only PITA is that for as much the "unlock" procedure is a cakewalk in practice, in theory there's nothing *clear* written in English, and even in German forums there are maybe a handful of people really knowing what they are doing.
So.. Follows my procedure. Credits to user Chiana and Chalid El-Heliebi.

No, you won't break wifi. No, this won't affect the language of your device.
I don't really know to what use root such simple device for, so I'll just illustrate the neater procedure to have an app launcher
Quote:
  1. It is assumed you are on latest 10.1.0 firmware (should also be available via OTA)
  2. Download ALLESebook_tolino_v4hd_root_1.9.0.zip and extract 1_images folder
  3. Make sure to have adb and fastboot installed. And please, don't complain here if "my Windows has problems with driver"
  4. Put Tolino in fastboot mode:
    • connect it to USB, then power off
    • first press light button, then also press power one - until home button blinks
    • fastboot devices command should show you something
  5. fastboot flash boot custom_boot.img (eventually, with path to wherever you unpacked this file)
  6. fastboot reboot
  7. Once it turns on, check if adb devices returns anything
    • If not, check device manager for a "tolino" yellow triangle entry
    • Open its Proprieties, then Driver tab, then force update it with Android ADB Interface driver
  8. Give adb shell am start -n com.android.settings/.Settings$WirelessSettingsActivity
  9. Enable Unknown Sources installation from Security settings
  10. Download Nova Classic (but any other launcher of your choice should be fine too)
  11. Download SidePanel (mirror)
  12. adb install NovaLauncher_3.3.apk and adb install kr.hybdms.sidepanel.apk
  13. Reboot
  14. When asked about "default choice", press the little white space below the two options, then select Nova Launcher
  15. Open the app drawer, then SidePanel, then check Enable service and Start on boot
(optional) fastboot flash boot boot.img back original kernel, that you can extract from official firmware update.zip

Congrats, you are done!
Truth be told I'm still wondering if a good old fashioned AOSP launcher couldn't be preferred, and whether there isn't a "side panel dock" which can catch back button long presses (AFAIU home button sends "back" actions) but still better than my best dreams.
mirh is offline   Reply With Quote