View Single Post
Old 10-16-2017, 08:10 AM   #88
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
Cool Firmware 4.6.9995 on Kobo Aura 2013: my experience

Well, I side loaded and upgraded to firmware 4.6.9995 on my Kobo Aura 2013 and after some testing, I downgraded back to 3.12.1 (side loading, mind you: it works like a charm).

To keep in mind: I keep 14.774 books organized on 239 collections, storing them on a 32Gb Class 4 uSD SanDisk Card that I manage with Calibre

Even though the Collections' access time did improve to merely 20 seconds (compared to my previous 2 minutes or so on 3.12.1) almost every other function takes closer to 30 seconds or more: getting to the home screen, changing reading settings (while reading a book, mind you), opening the search option, getting to my library, changing configuration... all of it takes what it feels like forever, compared with the near instantaneous response on 3.12.1.

So: if you, like me, keep a large library on a uSD Card, with many a collection, and general interface time (not merely Collections access) matters to you, my advice is to pass this upgrade for Kobo Aura 2013.

On the other hand, if no matter the library size/storage/collections arrangement, you change or alternate books rarely and use other functions of the reader seldom, then by all means upgrade.

Anyway, that's my experience with this firmware.

Thank you all for your patience and kind reply.

Until the next firmware version ;-)

Incanus
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote