View Single Post
Old 07-31-2016, 11:41 PM   #47
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcurtis View Post
What sucks is that you can't have both
I disagree, Matt. You definitely can and should have both as user options.

Much as I'm dismayed by the fully arbitrary "page" schemes (ADE, Marvin, whatever...), the root of my dismay is when these are enforced as the only available page-count option. That is the trouble here. Marvin is enforcing its own, (in my opinion:) quite needlessly introduced new arbitrary scheme, while Hyphen is enforcing ADE. (I'm talking about "pages in book", of course.)

Apple, in their turn, is enforcing the natural page-count (screen-flips) as the only option in iBooks, which happens to be my preference, but enforcing any single option is just not a good way of treating your users. Naturally, anyone foolhardy enough to use Apple software must be used to such contemptuous treatment from Apple software, in that Apple just hates providing freedom of choice to their customers (unless they really, really must provide it here and there), and typically, you just need to meekly accept whatever you're force-fed by Apple software.

That's why I believe Marvin and Hyphen should be very different in their approach to their paying users. Don't be like Apple, please – don't give us a single option, expecting it to satisfy everyone. As this thread clearly demonstrates (and you've just summarized it yourself, Matt), a single page-count option will never satisfy everyone. Apple's approach to this dilemma is arrogance: they simply ignore the demands of the minority (as a multi-billion corporation, they can afford to be arrogant towards the software demands of minorities), and they just go with whatever the bulk of the masses of users demands, because that's where the big buck is. (Other software corporations like Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Adobe, or Facebook are no better, really – arrogance is in the DNA of software mega-corporations.) And for the masses, mediocre software will do perfectly. Please let's not Marvin and Hyphen settle for mediocrity and an Apple-like, dismissive, arrogant approach to diversified user demands and expectations. Apple is happy to settle, ignobly, for the lowest common denominator every time; but Marvin and Hyphen should aim higher.

I believe both Marvin and Hyphen should give us alternative page-count options, too: among them, what I call the "natural" or "common-sense" option: screen flip = page turn. If you and Kris do that, I will no longer be incensed by Marvin's scheme or ADE – I'll be free to ignore them, or even use them along with what I call the "natural" page-count (iBooks-style).

Yup, along with it. For example, now that Marvin allows us to customize page footers, I wouldn't mind in the least if I saw both the natural page-count in the footer, and ADE's page-count at the same time. Why not? What I find unbearable and unacceptable is if ADE's page-count (or Marvin's scheme) is the only option.

(Hyphen displays the same internal conflict, in terms of page-counts, as Marvin does – you are, Matt, simply masking that internal contradiction better through Hyphen's user interface, whereas Marvin's user interface, being fully transparent and customizable, makes that internal contradiction and inconsistency glaringly, in-your-face obvious. The contradiction and inconsistency consists in both Marvin and Hyphen using natural page-counts = screen-flips for "pages in chapter", but artificial, abstract, arbitrary pseudo-page-counts for "pages in book".)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcurtis View Post
I replied to you over here on Hyphen's thread, Faterson, so as not to derail Marvin's.
Right. I'll be posting my Hyphen-specific reply there.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote