View Single Post
Old 07-04-2016, 03:43 AM   #31
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I still think that epub3 apps with built-in popup footnote support is the easiest way to handle this issue.

For testing purposes I looked into loading footnote definitions via jQuery .load(), but it only worked with the desktop version of ADE 4.5 and the Android version of Gitden Reader. (Unlike my first version, it doesn't work with Sigil, which is usually a bad sign.)
If you want to test this but have neither ADE 4.5. nor Gitden Reader for Android installed, simply unpack the epub and open the chapter files with a Web browser.

The code does the following:

1. It populates an empty div at the end of the chapter with a footnote definition loaded via the target id from an endnotes html file. (This part worked with most readers that support JavaScript.)

2. When the user selects the backlink it deletes the definition from the div and goes back to the footnote reference. (That part didn't work with all readers, however, it's quite possible that there's a bug in my very simple JavaScript code.)

(It should be possible to adapt my code so that it displays the div as a popup footnote, but I lack the skills to do it. Also it'd most likely duplicate the existing popup footnote function.)
Attached Files
File Type: epub jQuery_fn_epub3.epub (64.2 KB, 418 views)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote