View Single Post
Old 09-06-2015, 09:01 AM   #26
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
@CalibUser: Since the Sigil plugin root directory and the user_dictionary directory are sibling directories it's relatively easy to get the user_dictionary directory location.

For example, you could use the following code to get the dictionary folder:

Code:
import os, inspect
def run(bk):
    # get plugin directory path
    plugin_path = os.path.dirname(os.path.abspath(inspect.getfile(inspect.currentframe())))
    print(plugin_path)

# get rid of the last two directories
    tmp_path = plugin_path.split(os.path.sep)[:7]
    print(tmp_path)

# add the dictionary path
    tmp_path.extend(['user_dictionaries', 'WordDictionary.txt'])

# convert list back to file path
    dictionary_path = os.path.sep.join(tmp_path)
    print(dictionary_path)
The above code will produce the following output:

Windows:
Code:
C:\Users\Doitsu\AppData\Local\sigil-ebook\sigil\plugins\test
['C:', 'Users', 'Doitsu', 'AppData', 'Local', 'sigil-ebook', 'sigil']
C:\Users\Doitsu\AppData\Local\sigil-ebook\sigil\user_dictionaries\WordDictionary.txt
Linux (DiapDealer's build):
Code:
/home/doitsu/.local/share/sigil-ebook/sigil/plugins/test
['', 'home', 'doitsu', '.local', 'share', 'sigil-ebook', 'sigil']
/home/doitsu/.local/share/sigil-ebook/sigil/user_dictionaries/WordDictionary.txt
I've attached a test plugin that you can play with.
Thanks for mentioning the 'inspect' module method of finding the current script directory. Saves me the trouble. Though there may be shorter ways to get the current directory of the script that's being run, it's the only one that's guaranteed to work even when a script was invoked as a module.

I would, however suggest something other than the relatively fragile method of converting a path to a list of strings and then using the [:7] slice to strip off the last two directories. If the depth of that path ever increases, it won't point to the sigil preferences directory anymore. To be clear: it's the [:7] slice I find fragile, not the list of strings conversion and eventual re-joining.

I would suggest using [:-2] if you're going to split the path into a list of strings that later get rejoined. Or just use os.path.dirname twice without converting to a list of strings and rejoining.

It's all a bit fragile I guess (even mine), considering that the plugin directory could conceivably change in relation to the Sigil preferences directory.

Code:
import os, inspect

# get plugin directory path
plugin_path = os.path.dirname(os.path.abspath(inspect.getfile(inspect.currentframe())))
print(plugin_path)

# get rid of the last two directories
tmp_path = os.path.dirname(os.path.dirname(plugin_path))
print(tmp_path)

# add the dictionary path
dictionary_path = os.path.join(tmp_path, 'user_dictionaries', 'WordDictionary.txt')
print(dictionary_path)
This will all be simplified when accessing hunspell/dictionaries is incorporated into the plugin launcher framework, but Doitsu's above suggestion could work in the meantime (cross-platform) and wouldn't break even when the new version is released.

You could also determine the path of the current plugin script in the run method of a plugin by using:

Code:
def run(bk):
    ppath = bk._w.plugin_dir
It's not really recommended to access those wrapper script properties/methods directly--as they could change at any time. Though in this particular instance ... I don't foresee the plugin_dir property of the wrapper script ever disappearing or having its name changed.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-06-2015 at 09:25 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote