View Single Post
Old 03-21-2015, 10:19 AM   #21981
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making (Fairyland #1)
by Catherynne M. Valente - 3/5

It's a book that shares more in common with Discworld books than Alice In Wonderland. It's something that I regret. The book also feels like the middle of a series. I didn't understand what happened to the Marquess. She seemed alive but nothing is sure in Fairyland. I simply did not care about the characters, alright? Like with most books that seem to cheat, it was again a case of a weak effort that kind of redeems itself with a strong finish. My disappointment with books, and my inability to find pleasure in reading is not the only factor in me not being impressed with The Girl Who[...]. The adventures are bland and nonsensical. The author makes her heroine, September, suffer, but there's a complete lack of tension. I rated this 3 stars because of the twists at the end, and the really beautiful language. That's the best I can muster. I recommend this book to children who have not read Lewis Carroll and the Narnia books and The Hobbit. I'm curious about the sequel to The Girl Who. But I need to read something not experimental for the moment. I need comfort food for thought.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote