View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #150
MiniMouse
Groupie
MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Well, there will always be a big time delay because I'm not living in the US! And there could be some communication difficulties too because I'm not a native speaker!
Device: Sony PRS-T3S
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
If you can come up with a simple two step process that will be fine - ie frame the picture in one of your textures to create a composite image and give that image to Generate Cover so it can write the Title & Author on the borders.

Once we have that, then it can be used as a model to present to kiwidude, and if he's not interested then we have not lost anything.
Okay, we will make a first really simple try here and see if that is what you are looking for and if it works for you. You can also use the covers I put up so far with this (you can find links to all covers in the first post) but I will give you some more suitable textures for your specific use too.

We will make a grey linen cover for you with Chancellor Mutti ( I really had to laugh about that, never heard that expression before )!

First download the grey linen cover I put up.

I'm sure it is also very simple with GIMP but I haven't tried it so far, so I will give you the steps in PIXLR, an open source program you can find here. It is really simple, so stay with me! I'm only explaining it as exactly as I can and I put some stage pictures up to make it more easy for you to follow.

When you open PIXLR it will ask you what you want to do. Choose 'Open image from computer' and select the grey linen cover (just in case the window isn't there, go to 'file' in the toolbar and choose 'open image'). The grey linen cover will open in a window, when you choose the box at the side it will maximize your window and center the linen cover on your display, I find that easer to work with (PIXLR stage 1).

Now that you have the grey linen cover open, go to 'Layer' in the toolbar and select 'Open image as layer' (PIXLR stage 2) and choose your 'Brunhilde the Valkyrie by driany' image. PIXLR will put it right in the center over the grey linen cover.

You now can change the size of the Brunhilde image right here. Go to 'Edit' in your toolbar and select 'Free transform', it will show... let's call it a window around your Brunhilde image. Put your curser on one of the left or right boxes in the corner of the window until your curser shows a dobble-ended black arrow (PIXLR Stage 3). Not a round black arrow because then you will turn the image! If you don't want to change the proportions of your image you have to hold the 'Shift' button and then pull (like drag and drop) your image in the size you want it, bigger or smaller (yes, it will also work if your image is bigger than my texture cover). When you're happy with the size go with your curser somewhere (anywhere) to the side (you will see a white arrow again) and click on your mouse. PIXLR now asks you 'Do you want to apply the changes?' Which you can answer with YES, NO or CANCEL. If you like your made size you obviosly will choose YES (PIXLR stage 4).

There are also some more things you should know, other options for changing your picture size and the position of your layer. For more information read here and here.

Save the image and what you wanted to do is done now! However I want to add two suggestions for you...

Two things you also can do that are very simple and easily done. So, again, stay with me, please!

When you want to put your Brunhilde image a bit more down or higher (or more left or right) you can do this by selecting the 'Move tool (V)' in your 'tools' window (PIXLR stage 5). If the tool window isn't open (it normally is) go to 'View' in your toolbar and select 'Tool options'. Now you can move (also like drag and drop) with your mouse the Brunhilde image wherever you want.

Second thing I would do, again very easy but I think it combines the two images better. On your right you see a 'Layers' window (if it isn't there go to 'View' in your toolbar and select 'Layers'). Click on the two-arrow button (PIXLR stage 6), it will open the 'modes' options. When you choose, for example 'Overlay' (PIXLR stage 7), it will merge the two images a bit more and give you a more linen look for your Brunhilde image too (Final cover).

Now just save your new cover and DONE!

Try and let me know if it worked, if it is easy enough and what you think.

And one last question, you like the textures with a book margin like the covers in this post or without? Let me know.

MiniMouse

(Just in case you wonder: the stage pictures are made with a more blue linen cover but with the Overlay-modes I personally liked the grey one more.)

AND for everyone who wants to see more from the artist of this lovely drawing, check out the side of driany on deviantart here. His gallery is free to use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIXLR Stage 1.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	112723   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIXLR Stage 2.png
Views:	647
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	112724   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIXLR Stage 3.png
Views:	657
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	112725   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIXLR Stage 4.png
Views:	643
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	112747   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIXLR Stage 5.png
Views:	631
Size:	258.1 KB
ID:	112748   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIXLR Stage 6.png
Views:	630
Size:	412.8 KB
ID:	112749   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIXLR Stage 7.png
Views:	600
Size:	304.1 KB
ID:	112750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Final Cover.jpg
Views:	677
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	112751  
Attached Files
File Type: zip grey linen cover.zip (3.07 MB, 487 views)
File Type: zip blue linen cover.zip (3.67 MB, 475 views)

Last edited by MiniMouse; 10-06-2013 at 08:05 AM.
MiniMouse is offline   Reply With Quote