View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 02:49 AM   #1
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Widows and Orphans and firmware, oh my!

I tend to clean up sideloaded epubs a bit, and one thing I usually do is to set widows and orphans to zero, to give me a full page of text. I also remove spacing between paragraphs and use first-line indents instead, which means – barring section headings and the like – every ereader page has the same number of lines of text.

One thing I'm noticing with firmware 2.5.x is that when a chapter ends on the last line of a screen page, for no reason that I can discern the last line is actually broken over to the next screen, and appears there on its own while leaving a blank line at the bottom of the previous page, which seems to defeat the coding.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be? I don't think it happened in 2.4x, though I haven't downgraded my system to check. Could it be something in the display engine? (These are standard 2.0 epubs, not kepubs.) Could it be something caused by the pagebreak code that begins the next html file?

And yes, I've checked in Sigil that there is no errant coding at the end of the text.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by MacEachaidh; 05-02-2013 at 03:01 AM.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote