View Single Post
Old 09-04-2008, 05:44 PM   #412
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
Exclamation Possible non-compliance of GPL terms

I've been looking at doing some refactoring of PDFRead and while I was doing that I came across Poppler, which in turn is based on XPdf. cacapee mentions multiple times that poppler is used in pdflrf (which is also statically linked into the executables). The poppler README clearly states:
Code:
Please note that xpdf, and thus poppler, is licensed under the GPL,
not the LGPL.  Consequently, any application using poppler must also
be licensed under the GPL.  If you want to incorporate Xpdf based PDF
rendering in a closed source product, please contact Glyph & Cog
(www.glyphandcog.com) for commercial licensing options.
. In such a scenario, it becomes an obligation for cacapee to either publish the source code OR withdraw the binaries for this tool. [disclaimer: I've been trying to get cacapee to share the source code for a while now so that I could pick up some ideas for PDFRead, but I never thought of the licensing issue until I was trying to compile poppler myself today.]

Considering the policy which was similiarly applied to RasterFarian, I'd like to request that the downloads on the first post be temporarily hidden/disabled. It would be a sad thing for many users, but I think that until this matter is resolved, it's the correct thing to do.