Old 10-22-2012, 03:35 AM   #39
Knorke
Enthusiast
Knorke is on a distinguished road

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Phenomenological examination of annotation problems

Hello Booxtor, hello users.

Introduction
Based on my posting #34 in this thread I've tried to examine some annotation problems with pdf files. I've found a nice pdf document produced by pdfTeX/LaTeX in the web. It has pages without graphic, with vector graphics and with bitmap graphics.

All 3 bugs (number 2-4 in my posting #34) occur in this file. All 3 kinds of bugs (and the known bug 1) I've in nearly every journal paper I want to read and annotate. On a new page without comments the response times are normal.

Short explanation of the 'experiment'
I made a lot of annotations on 4 typical pages and recorded the response time

The original file you can find here:

http://tex.aanhet.net/rugtex/figlatex.pdf

The results of my (frustrating) tests you can find here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/97906838/pdf...ons_Knorke.pdf

Meaning of the colums in the result file:
comment number - number of the comment (per page)
selection time - response time when I change the selected text by moving the pen
menu appear. - time after which the text input menue appears
menue dissappear. - time after which the menu disappears after pressing 'OK'
editing time sum - sum of the three response times / time for one comment

Results
Also without graphics the response time increases very quickly. In the case of my test file on page 6 comment nr. 74 takes in sum 15 seconds without adding any text. This seems to be a problem of the database of the M92.

If you have graphics you really get in hot water. Especialliy the response time when you select the text can be more than one minute! Colleagues laught at me when they observed my long persistance to mark some words. This time grows not directly with the comment number. Between long times there are comments with shorter response times. The time of the appearance and disappearance of the text menu increases continuously with the comment number. With the test file page 2 is very frustrating (have a look at the result file).

Summary
Booxtor and Onyx, please fix this bugs. Your are so close to the destination. But at the moment working with the M92 is very very frustrating. And please don't tell me it's because of the poor Adobe SDK.

Last edited by Knorke; 10-23-2012 at 01:57 AM.
Knorke is offline   Reply With Quote