View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 07:00 AM   #33
danifunker
Connoisseur
danifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo Vox
Please refer to the first post in this thread for the most current information:
http://tinyurl.com/OogleVox

Quote:
Hi Taming,

I just installed the last update and had some difficulties.

I am not exactly sure if you need to do the whole thing like this, but here is what I did.
1) Update - The update broke my functioning Google Market and my root
2) Once the Kobo app setup has finished running (if it is required, I don't remember at this point) go to menu -> settings -> applications. Ensure "Unknown Sources" is checked, then press development and enable "USB debugging".
3) Download and install GingerBreak-V1.20.apk (can be googled), once Gingerbreak is installed click on the "root device". Kobo will restart 2 or 3 times (I can't remember) and you will see a SuperUser (with a green pirate-sort of looking icon) in the programs menu once it has sucessfully installed.
4) I did a factory reset on my device at this point (this may or may not be required, but since I had google market on there last time the system and the data was messed up so that was the solution)To perform factory default (Hold VOL UP and PWR) then finished the Kobo setup wizard.
5) I downloaded and extracted gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip from the cyanogenmod website and put it on my Kobo's external SD card.
6) I am also a user of Root Explorer, so I put that on the kobo's SD card. I think there are other apps you can use for this task, but none come to my mind now.
7) Downloaded an app called "AndExplorer" this is a file manager that allows me to install my downloaded apps from the SD card. You can find this with a google search and download it directly to the Kobo, then once the download is finished, install the program. Once AndExplorer was installed, I navigated to the extsd folder and Installed Root Explorer.
8) Installed "GoogleServicesFramework.apk" and "Vending.Apk" and "MediaUploader.apk" from the package referred to earlier. The files are in the app folder within the zip file.
9) Copied the following files to /system/app using root explorer (had to mount /system as R-W first):
GenieWidget.apk
GoogleBackupTransport.apk
GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk
GoogleFeedback.apk
GooglePartnerSetup.apk
GoogleServicesFramework.apk
MarketUpdater.apk
MediaUploader.apk
NetworkLocation.apk
OneTimeInitializer.apk
Vending.apk
10) Set the permissions to 644 (Owner : read/write, group read, everyone read) and changed the ownership to 0/0 (root/root) on each of those files listed.
11) SHut down kobo and restarted it
12) Went into accounts and added my google account just as I would on any normal android device
13) Launched market and installed gmail and youtube!

Hope that helps!
Those were the original instructions, use the following now:

1) Update - The update broke my functioning Google Market and my root
2) Once the Kobo app setup has finished running (if it is required, I don't remember at this point) go to menu -> settings -> applications. Ensure "Unknown Sources" is checked, then press development and enable "USB debugging".
3) Download and install GingerBreak-V1.20.apk (can be googled), once Gingerbreak is installed click on the "root device". Kobo will restart 2 or 3 times (I can't remember) and you will see a SuperUser (with a green pirate-sort of looking icon) in the programs menu once it has sucessfully installed.
4) I did a factory reset on my device at this point (this may or may not be required, but since I had google market on there last time the system and the data was messed up so that was the solution)To perform factory default (Hold VOL UP and PWR) then finished the Kobo setup wizard.
5) I downloaded and extracted gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip from the cyanogenmod website and put it on my Kobo's external SD card.
6) Download and install File Expert - http://www.xageek.com/en/
7) Open File Expert, menu button -> more -> settings -> File Explorer Settings -> Tick Root Explorer. SuperUser window will appear, say allow.
8) Copied the following files to /system/app using File Expert (had to mount /system as Read Write first: use File Expert -> menu button -> Mount -> Mount as Read Write):
GenieWidget.apk
GoogleBackupTransport.apk
GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk
GoogleFeedback.apk
GooglePartnerSetup.apk
GoogleServicesFramework.apk
MarketUpdater.apk
MediaUploader.apk
NetworkLocation.apk
OneTimeInitializer.apk
Vending.apk
9) Set the permissions to 644 (Owner : read + write, group read, everyone read) on each one of the files listed in step 8. This step is VERY important!
10) Changed the ownership to 0/0 (root/root) on each of those files listed in step 8. (I think this step might be optional)
11) Shut down kobo and restart it (in order for the new system files to appear the system needs to be restarted).
12) Went into accounts and added my google account just as I would on any normal android device.
13) Launched market and installed gmail and youtube!

Last edited by danifunker; 01-18-2012 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Consistent instructions... always read thread #1 for up-to-date instructions
danifunker is offline   Reply With Quote