View Single Post
Old 12-12-2007, 08:51 PM   #29
mrkai
Bit Wrangler
mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I'm on your side here :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I suppose this might be true if Amazon gave me a Kindle for free. If Amazon is loosing money at $400 it is news to me. I certainly did not agree to buy a single AZW e-book as part of the deal. The copyright owners are happy to sell me a DRMed MOBI, and explicitly give me permission to read it on the Kindle (based on the Kindle PID I provide). Amazon says that a device that I paid $400 for must not be used to read an e-book which I legally own and legally have permission to read on the Kindle. Laws are strange things, but it is normally understood that, once purchased, stuff can be used for purposes other than those it was designed for. Note that there is no "theft" here. I buy a MOBI book with real money and a Kindle with real money, I don't violate copyright (no fair use exception needed - I have the permission of the copyright holder to do what I am doing). Amazon might make more or less money on the deal if I buy a AZW version vs a MOBI version (hard to say from the outside), the publisher and author gets the same amount either way.
While everything you said is perfectly rational, it isn't really relevant

You see, by making a copy of this book from one format to another, you have violated copyright...as stupid as that is, because the rights holder hasn't given you permission to do this.

Further, you don't get to define the terms of your Amazon Kindle usage...Amazon does.

This is a very real example of the perils of a system that decides that because you might give away what you paid for, what you can do with what you licensed (you didn't buy anything, really according to the terms of your...purchase) you are already on the grey side, strolling dark.

if Amazon sells a copy of the book you already bought from somewhere else, and you make a copy of said book to view on the Kindle...you are a violator. Is the original still around in the original format? Hrm. Now you have "two books" but you only bought one.

See? If Amazon sells the book in question you are supposed to buy it from them. If they do not and it is encrypted, you do NOT have the "right" to use it on the Kindle...even tho you "own" both of these things

And according to some of the publishers and authors that frequent here, this is *perfectly sane and fair to them* because you could in theory give one of those copies to someone else somehow instead of having bought a copy for them, and you, because you can copy the kindlized one to the kindle to read, and read the other copy in mobipocket.

Yay Team!

Last edited by mrkai; 12-12-2007 at 08:56 PM.
mrkai is offline   Reply With Quote