Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-09-2019, 12:55 PM   #1
Tomifonication
Luddite
Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.Tomifonication composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5
Exclamation Stop Amazon downloading original Kindle book thumbnail.

Hi all,

I'm having an issue that when connected to WiFi, my Kindle Oasis will automatically fetch the original thumbnail for my eBooks and override the ones that I have assigned via Calibre.

Having researched, the dilemma I seem to have is that in order to remove the ID that triggers the download, I'd have to affect a change in the eBook either by converting or polishing, but this can't be done with a KFX book in Calibre, and similarly I can't edit a KFX book.

Are there any solutions?

Notes:

- I require access to WiFi for downloading articles to read via Instapaper, so disabling WiFi is a no-go.
- I'm content with the KFX format and composition of the eBooks, and therefore would rather avoid converting them if possible.

Additional:

Last edited by Tomifonication; 08-09-2019 at 01:09 PM.
Tomifonication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:48 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
You don't say, but I am assuming that these are books purchased from Amazon and delivered over the air to the device in KFX format.

You could possibly import them into calibre, change the ASIN identifier to something unused, embed the new metadata, and send the resulting book back to the Kindle. (This process would require you to remove the DRM, which is not possible for recent Kindle firmware versions.)

Books imported into calibre using the KFX Input plugin or created within calibre using the KFX Output plugin can have their metadata updated using the "Embed metadata" function. (The KFX Output plugin must be installed for this to work.)

Doing this would create a different book and break the linkage to the originally purchased book in your account, preventing syncing of reading position, notes and highlights.

I am just throwing this out as a possibility. It would be far easier to just block the replacement of the cover thumbnail. Perhaps someone will provide a method for doing that instead.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2019, 01:49 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
It would be far easier to just block the replacement of the cover thumbnail. Perhaps someone will provide a method for doing that instead.
change the kindle wifi dns to use opendns
create a FREE homefree account and set customised filters to block the amazon address that delivers the thumbnails
so long AS THE ADDRESS YOU NEED TO USE FOR READING ARTICLES IS DIFFERENT, THAT SHOULD STILL WORK

a free account will only filter when the device is using your main home IP address though, so you can have it working at home, but will need to turn off wifi if you take the Kindle out,

https://signup.opendns.com/homefree/
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote