Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-17-2024, 02:41 PM   #1
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Root for Glowlight 4 Plus?

I've been looking for ways that the GL4+ could be rooted, but have not had any success thus far. I had managed to access developer options and USB debugging before the 'wise ones' at B&N decided to add a password to keep people from doing that. As a result, I still have access, but anyone who buys a GL4+ now won't have access without the password.

My main purpose for rooting is to see if I can locate said password in the system files and then let people know what it is. Even if B&N changes the password again, once you activate USB debugging, you're in (unless you choose to turn it off).

One bonus with root is that I should be able to remap the page turn buttons as desired. This isn't a big priority for me, but it's nice to have access.

Any help is appreciated!!!
downeaster59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 01:21 PM   #2
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay. Ready for Step 2. Due to someone's kindness, I was able to find the update.zip for the GL4+. I found boot.img and processed it in the Magisk app. I ran adb reboot bootloader in Terminal. But when I tried to use fastboot, Terminal gave me this - fastboot: usage: no command. When I tried again, I tried the command fastboot devices. That got nothing. I tried adb reboot recovery. I was taken to the factory reset page. Fastboot commands were still unrecognized.

I haven't used fastboot for a little while, so I could be missing something basic. Any ideas?
Advert
Old 04-25-2024, 06:23 PM   #3
downeaster59
Wizard

Next chapter...

Using a Linux system, I was able to use fastboot. I tried "fastboot boot magisk_etc.". The terminal indicated that the operation was a success, but the GL4+ would not reboot afterwards until I did so manually. But then, the device used the stock boot.img, not the magisk-altered one. So, I tried "fastboot flash boot magisk_etc." Again, the Linux terminal indicated that the operation was a success. Again, the GL4+ didn't reboot on its own. But now, I have not been able to get it to reboot at all so far. And, I can't connect through adb so far.

I'll get back to it later. This is where my root project is as of now!