Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-25-2024, 07:43 PM   #61
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerem0ny View Post
Fair enough, too! The buttons are so crap. I can’t believe they haven’t updated them with this new iteration. Either way, counting down the days til April 30.
I have no complaints about the Libra buttons. True, they're not the best I've used (the best were the Oasis 3 buttons), but I wouldn't say they're crap. They're ok. Obviously YMMV.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 07:55 PM   #62
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
We as a civilization has forgotten how to make buttons. Kindle keyboard still has the best page turn buttons for my money
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 08:14 PM   #63
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The main problem is that the button has 2 click points, but it's wide enough to need 3, so if you press on the inside of the button, it won't always register a click. First world problems!
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 03:12 AM   #64
Dibbler
Enthusiast
Dibbler began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Kobo Aura One and Clara 2E
The Maneetpaul video was most interesting, in my opinion it can be difficult capturing by video or photographs differences when it applies to screen qualities.
Even tho the Sage that we bought had problems with the screen, made more apparent with what we have already, I found it impossible to capture by camera.
But in the video linked above there are noticeable differences that probably are emphasised if you have other models to compare to.

I'm not sure in our typical use case the qualities of what a colour ereader could bring would compensate for those differences that I might well find too distracting.
I would love to b able to see one in use without needing to but first, putting aside possible returns and refunds.
Dibbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 03:37 AM   #65
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Hehe, Maneetpaul is still complaining about the Libra's buttons after all this time.
Indeed, he doesn't seem to realize that the best way to use the buttons is to always use the outer edge, so on the upper button press on the up-side and vice versa.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 07:21 PM   #66
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I'm afraid I don't get the 'light is too bright' arguments.

Color eink screens are darker - it's the way the tech at this stage works - so OF COURSE you need a brighter light to see properly.

I don't need a light in my living room during the day, but I turn it on at night because the room is dark. Doesn't everyone?
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 09:01 PM   #67
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It depends on your priorities. One of the reasons I switched to e-paper is that my eyes are light sensitive. Needing the frontlight on at 50% in order to get decent contrast is a complete deal breaker for me. Other people might not care at all.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 10:31 PM   #68
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
Indeed, he doesn't seem to realize that the best way to use the buttons is to always use the outer edge, so on the upper button press on the up-side and vice versa.
The Oasis had a uniform pressure sense throughout the entirety of each button, and a satisfying little press each time. I miss it
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 07:03 PM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibbler View Post
The Maneetpaul video was most interesting, in my opinion it can be difficult capturing by video or photographs differences when it applies to screen qualities.
Even tho the Sage that we bought had problems with the screen, made more apparent with what we have already, I found it impossible to capture by camera.
But in the video linked above there are noticeable differences that probably are emphasised if you have other models to compare to.

I'm not sure in our typical use case the qualities of what a colour ereader could bring would compensate for those differences that I might well find too distracting.
I would love to b able to see one in use without needing to but first, putting aside possible returns and refunds.
GoodEReader does very well shooting video. While the reviews may not be all that good, the video is quite good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 07:07 PM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
I'm afraid I don't get the 'light is too bright' arguments.

Color eink screens are darker - it's the way the tech at this stage works - so OF COURSE you need a brighter light to see properly.

I don't need a light in my living room during the day, but I turn it on at night because the room is dark. Doesn't everyone?
What I want is to know what the light level would be to get the screen to look similar to the Libra 2 wit no light. 50% is brighter then the Libra 2. That's why the comment. A lot of time I use my Libra 2 with no light. So I want to know what the light level is to get them to look similar
Old 04-27-2024, 07:08 PM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
It depends on your priorities. One of the reasons I switched to e-paper is that my eyes are light sensitive. Needing the frontlight on at 50% in order to get decent contrast is a complete deal breaker for me. Other people might not care at all.
You don't need 50%. That's just too bright. You may need some light but defiantly not as bright as 50%.
Old 04-27-2024, 07:11 PM   #72
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
I use my Libra buttons inverted and they work just great for me.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 07:14 PM   #73
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What I want is to know what the light level would be to get the screen to look similar to the Libra 2 wit no light. 50% is brighter then the Libra 2. That's why the comment. A lot of time I use my Libra 2 with no light. So I want to know what the light level is to get them to look similar
I'll let you know when I get mine. I usually used the Sage and Libra 2 at 15%, since unless I was outside in bright sunlight, it looks grey without any frontlight. I suspect that 30% will be correct, based on how Kobo used that for its battery life estimates, but we'll see.

Last edited by Haesslich; 04-27-2024 at 08:36 PM.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 07:14 PM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I do like where the buttons are on my Libra 2 because it's so very easy to ignore them.
Old 04-27-2024, 07:34 PM   #75
Rid
Groupie
Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura HD (R.I.P.) :(
We are all different with the light...

I use max 10% but at night I usually have it set at 3% ~ 5% and mostly with dark mode. When outside I sometimes turn it off.

I do need a new ereader soon-ish (battery & USB port issues) and probably want a Libra due to the buttons and price. I would like a bigger screen but I just can't justify the cost increase. I think I will wait to see if Kobo will have a new Libra BW as the reviews lend me to think I will not will happy with the colour model due to my reading habits.

Edit: I think the button issue is going to annoy me...

Last edited by Rid; 04-27-2024 at 07:42 PM.
Rid is offline   Reply With Quote