Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-16-2024, 03:59 PM   #1
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
Kobo journey so far...

Pardon the ramble but someone might find this interesting, laughable or sad...

I have a rather large kindle library (800+) that I have purchased over the years. I really have nothing against Amazon (big Prime user) but have always wanted a fall back device. I have a Kobo Libra 2 I bought when that first came out and hardware wise I love it. I love the buttons and the device just feels better to me over my other kindle devices. I transferred all my books (after conversion) onto it. Other than some conversion issues, involving headers which I have posted about before, it has worked well.

I read on both my Kobo and my Kindle but different things for different reasons. Typically I read novels on the kindle because I can make use of whispersync which allows me to switch easily between audible book and the ebook. I read history, biographies, etc on the Kobo. Having said that, I prefer my time with the Kobo because of the buttons and I just like it.

Whispersync switching is a big deal, but that alone is not what keeps me on Amazon. I almost always stop reading/listening at chapter breaks anyway. But the other benefit of Audible is that I can buy the audible version at a significant discount if I already bought the ebook. Kobo does not do that unfortunately.

Anyway, while checking out the website of a new (to me) local indie bookstore I noticed they had a menu selection for audiobooks which then led me to libro.fm A revelation that was, I can do their subscription (priced same as kobo and audible basically), and I can download the book to their app AND download the audio files, without DRM, for safe keeping... bonus! I am trying it out now to see what hassle there is, if any for reading/listening to my novels during my commute etc. It is promising. If I do not need whispersync ability then I do not need to buy my ebooks and audiobooks exclusively through amazon. Time will tell.

Having said all that, I have rolled the dice and pre-ordered the Libra Colour anticipating that I may be able to go full Kobo for the ebooks.

It is nice to have options....
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 04:45 PM   #2
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Nice! Thanks for sharing.

I don’t do audio books. I never travel anywhere since I work out of the home, and I’d rather read at my own pace. But I have to admit that Amazon does a fantastic job with whispersync. Kobo’s syncing between devices is laggy, and syncing between ereaders and iOS apps is so spotty as to be useless. I don’t have that issue ever with my Kindles and Kindle apps. I can remember back when the iPhone was new that whipsersync was spotty, but Kindle fixed it. I wish Kobo prioritized syncing as much as they’ve prioritized notetaking.

Still, now that I can’t strip DRM off Kindle purchases on my Mac, I don’t buy from Kindle anymore. I’m solely Kobo now for new purchases. But with the backlog of books that I have, I like to keep my Kindle around even though I converted my collection as you did. I like having options, too.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 04:50 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Still, now that I can’t strip DRM off Kindle purchases on my Mac, I don’t buy from Kindle anymore. I’m solely Kobo now for new purchases. But with the backlog of books that I have, I like to keep my Kindle around even though I converted my collection as you did. I like having options, too.
Why can't you strip the DRM off your Kindle purchases? There are three working methods at the moment, the easiest of which is to use Download & Transfer.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 01:43 AM   #4
readthinksurvive
Connoisseur
readthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmos

Device: kindle oasis; kobo elipsa/libra; pocketbook 741; SNA4X
welcome to kobo

i collect free books on both kobo/kindle but kindle tends to have more free cool books!!
readthinksurvive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 01:03 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For the most part, I find most free books are worth what you pay for them. Even the series starter books that are not perma-free tend to get repeated on a regular basis.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 02:17 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For the most part, I find most free books are worth what you pay for them.
That's what I've found as well. Most free books just aren't all that good. I gave up on them a decade ago.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 12:54 AM   #7
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Why can't you strip the DRM off your Kindle purchases? There are three working methods at the moment, the easiest of which is to use Download & Transfer.

D&T doesn’t work for me. I spent quite a lot of time getting it to work and never succeeded. It was simply easier to stop buying from Kindle and do all ebook purchases from Kobo from that point onward.

If you can direct me to a summary of what I need to do, I can give it a try again. I certainly miss the Kindle sales.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 01:26 AM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
D&T doesn’t work for me. I spent quite a lot of time getting it to work and never succeeded. It was simply easier to stop buying from Kindle and do all ebook purchases from Kobo from that point onward.

If you can direct me to a summary of what I need to do, I can give it a try again. I certainly miss the Kindle sales.
Please check your PMs.

Last edited by DNSB; 04-23-2024 at 01:29 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote