Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-15-2024, 08:41 PM   #1
sirgawain
sirgawain began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Screensavers: how often do they rotate?

I installed NickleMenu and created the "screensaver" folder and put two images in it. For 2 days, it's only picked one picture to show; it never goes to the other picture. I've switched them out and each picture can render just fine, but if both are in the folder, only one gets shown ever. How often are they supposed to rotate?
sirgawain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 08:46 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The selection is random so with only 2 images, I would expect a switch fairly often. OTOH, I haven't looked at the code so the random number generator may not be very good at it's job.

I currently have about 25 images (mostly M. C. Escher images) and the image changes almost everytime my Sage goes to sleep.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 08:55 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I've also noticed some get displayed often and others almost never, so I don't think the randomizer is doing everything it could be doing.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 10:47 PM   #4
InnovationHack
InnovationHack began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Poke3
I just tried this myself with three images. I slept it 5 times. I got the same image 4 times and the book cover once. :/ I can’t help but feel I’m doing something wrong.
InnovationHack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 11:55 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovationHack View Post
I just tried this myself with three images. I slept it 5 times. I got the same image 4 times and the book cover once. :/ I can’t help but feel I’m doing something wrong.
If you got the book cover, something is very wrong. That should never be displayed when you are using the random screensaver.

I just followed the instructions in the original post by @davidfor and have not seen a book cover in years. A few things are Linux is case-sensitive so screensaver.

Check this message: Random Screensaver
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 02:00 PM   #6
sirgawain
sirgawain began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I just tried what InnovationHack did -- I did not get a book cover, but I definitely am not getting any image except one no matter now many times I sleep it. It's really weird. It always picks the first picture alphabetically, never moves from it.
sirgawain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 02:59 PM   #7
Tawn
Connoisseur
Tawn began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If you got the book cover, something is very wrong.
Possibly...but I recall only getting the screensaver image in certain instances (from sleeping during an ebook, but not while reading a Pocket? article or something like that). (I only had this feature enabled a short time, so don't remember the particulars.) I also thought something was wrong because I kept getting the same image. I tried different image formats/sizes, but in the end it seemed like the randomness was just kind of weird. Sometimes I'd get the same image many times in a row, other times not.
Tawn is offline   Reply With Quote