Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-28-2021, 11:55 AM   #16
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Run calibre in debug mode (right click the preferences button to do it) and post the debug log after the crash.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 02:20 PM   #17
jackb
jackb began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello,

Half the time when running in debug Calibre will come up just fine. The other half Calibre hangs and never completes. It almost appears to be a timing issue.

I am attaching two txt files, one good and one bad. Interesting, when it fails, the debug file is not closed out until I kill Calibre, so the debug may not be complete.

Hope it helps
Attached Files
File Type: txt Fail.txt (2.0 KB, 113 views)
File Type: txt Work.txt (24.4 KB, 344 views)
jackb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2021, 03:07 AM   #18
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm well, looks like ignoring that error just causes a worse one else where. The onlyother workaround I can think of is retrying the failing call with a sleep.

Here is a beta build that does that:

https://download.calibre-ebook.com/betas/

Try it and see, it should also report the id of the folder for which listing is failing in the error message.
Old 05-29-2021, 10:00 AM   #19
jackb

Hello,

Last night I wondered if my problem was just that I had too many books, so I removed several hundred from the phone and tried to start Calibre with the original 5.19.0 and i still hung without completing the startup. I was wrong, the number of books did not affect the startup.

I reinstalled the books and Calibre 5.19.0 beta. Calibre came all the way up, but with errors. I'm attaching the debug file and the detail of the posted error:

It appears that very few folks are running into this problem, and if this starts to get I do have a workaround that is quite satisfactory. Many thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: txt tmp9w46vrje.txt (7.4 KB, 104 views)
File Type: txt Beta error.txt (779 Bytes, 113 views)
Old 05-29-2021, 10:54 AM   #20
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Hmm well the sleep didnt help. I'm out of ideas then, sorry. Cant really debug this anymore without access to a malfunctioning device.
Advert
Old 05-29-2021, 01:41 PM   #21
jackb

Hello,

I am happy with my workaround as a solution. I would like to thank you for a marvelous product and even more for your phenomenal support.

Many thanks
Old 05-29-2021, 03:37 PM   #22
rasteps
Zealot
rasteps began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Android phone
The new update, 5.19, seems to have fixed my problem. And it is reading the books on my phone too.
rasteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 10:32 PM   #23
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasteps View Post
The new update, 5.19, seems to have fixed my problem. And it is reading the books on my phone too.
You mean the release, or the beta?
Old 05-30-2021, 05:17 AM   #24
rasteps
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You mean the release, or the beta?
The release
Old 05-30-2021, 06:13 AM   #25
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Hmm, well the workaround in the release is causing crashes, so its been reverted. Does the beta work?
Old 05-31-2021, 05:12 AM   #26
rasteps
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Hmm, well the workaround in the release is causing crashes, so its been reverted. Does the beta work?
I haven't tried the beta because I use calibre in its portable form. But if the release is causing crashes, I can used Jackb's workaround. It gives me a chance to do some post-download reformatting of the titles anyway.
Old 05-31-2021, 05:57 AM   #27
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

there is a portable version of the beta as well.
Old 06-01-2021, 11:53 PM   #28
rasteps
Zealot

Okay... since I run Calibre as a portable application, I was going to try running the beta portable, but then I decided to try my phone on a different computer running Windows 10, the same updates as my main computer, but running Calibre 5.18. On that computer, the phone connected with no problems.

So, thinking that this might be a PC problem rather than an Android one, I tried a clean install of Calibre 5.18 on my main computer, and the phone also worked like a charm.

Finally, I reverted my main 5.19 install of Calibre (with all my books) to Calibre 5.18, and the phone also worked there with no problems.

Keep in mind though, that I was able to configure the phone folders under the original install of 5.19, so that might have affected something. But at the moment, I am not having any problems with my device and Calibre 5.18.

@Jackb, maybe you can try a clean portable install of Calibre 5.18 and/or 5.19 and see if that works.

Richard A. Steps

Last edited by rasteps; 06-01-2021 at 11:57 PM.
Old 06-04-2021, 04:21 AM   #29
rasteps
Zealot

Update: I install Calibre 5.20, but it failed to read the MTP directory tree with the same error we've been getting. However, now all versions of Calibre fail to read the directory tree, including the 5.19 release (which worked a few days ago) as well as the 5.19 beta.

At least Jackb's workaround still works well.
Old 06-06-2021, 02:40 PM   #30
jackb

Hello,

I have just installed 5.20.0 and the error has changed to:

calibre, version 5.20.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

C:\r\src\src\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\content_e numeration.cpp:336:Failed to EnumObjects() of folder from device:[hr=0x80042009 wCode=7689] IDispatch error #7689: o1F2

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 89, in run
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 515, in _books
File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 220, in books
File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 192, in get_driveinfo
File "calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 272, in filesystem_cache
wpd.WPDError: C:\r\src\src\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\content_e numeration.cpp:336:Failed to EnumObjects() of folder from device:[hr=0x80042009 wCode=7689] IDispatch error #7689: o1F2