Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-12-2024, 04:05 PM   #1
jmstump
jmstump began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kindle Voyage
Errno 28 - Disk out of Space - New Kobo Sage

I've searched the forums and seen variations on this error, but I'm still at a loss.

I only recently setup my Kobo Sage and was able to get a sync before I started running into this issue. Here are the things I've checked.
- Kobo has nearly 30gb of free space
- I can create and copy to the Kobo outside of calibre on the computer.
- My computer has nearly half a terabyte of free space
- This calibre library is local. It isn't on a network drive nor in some cloud storage
- Checked the box in the smartdevice plugin to ignore storage errors

Having looked around on the forums it seems like much of this can be caused by tmp folder issues as well. However the reason this confuses me is that I was able to make a transfer before Calibre started throwing it.

My computer is running Linux Mint and I have the faltpak version installed.

Any help on how I somehow screwed this up and how I can fix it would be appreciated.

Code:
calibre, version 7.10.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>OSError</b>:[Errno 28] No space left on device

calibre 7.10  embedded-python: True
Linux-5.15.0-106-generic-x86_64-with-glibc2.38 Linux ('64bit', 'ELF')
('Linux', '5.15.0-106-generic', '#116-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 17 09:17:56 UTC 2024')
Python 3.11.5
Interface language: None
EXE path: /app/lib/calibre/bin/calibre
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre/gui2/device.py", line 1363, in dispatch_sync_event
  File "calibre/gui2/device.py", line 1560, in sync_to_device
  File "calibre/gui2/library/models.py", line 721, in get_preferred_formats_from_ids
  File "calibre/db/legacy.py", line 459, in copy_format_to
  File "calibre/db/cache.py", line 85, in call_func_with_lock
  File "calibre/db/cache.py", line 1225, in copy_format_to
  File "calibre/db/backend.py", line 1823, in copy_format_to
  File "shutil.py", line 200, in copyfileobj
OSError: [Errno 28] No space left on device
jmstump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 10:37 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's a lack of space in /tmp not your device. Presumably you have /tmp mounted in RAM, dont do that, or if you do, then use the CALIBRE_TEMP_DIR env var to tell calibre to use something else for themp files.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2024, 11:49 PM   #3
jmstump
jmstump began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kindle Voyage
Hmm so it looks like Linux Mint might be defaulting tmp to ram on newer installs. Figure this is worth a mention since it might pop up again with other Mint users. I'm unsure if it does it by default all the time or if you have over a certain ram threshold, I have 32gb for example so I'm not too worried about using my ram since I don't come close to utilizing it on this machine. Thanks for the tip on the env variable. I'll look into setting that up.

Rebooting obviously resolves this issue. Hilariously I forgot the ever important "Have you turned it off and on again" when troubleshooting this.

Also thanks for all your hard work with Calibre. I realized the other day I've used Calibre on and off for almost as long as it has existed. Shocked when I went to go look up the original release date because someone asked me how long I had been using it, and without thinking responded with "about a couple of decades"

Which I thought that couldn't be right, but when I went back it looked like I started using Calibre around 2007/08 which is 15+ years!
jmstump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 12:27 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You're welcome!
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 08:21 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmstump View Post
Hmm so it looks like Linux Mint might be defaulting tmp to ram on newer installs.
Sounds unlikely.

I'm running Mint 21.3 and used Mint since 32 bit 17.x and I've never seen tmp in RAM.

I've two, one is on root (which is on an SSD, thus is /tmp) and one is in my home /home/<user>/tmp
/home and /var are partitions on a SATA HDD.

By default at install time everything is on the root device. Nothing is mounted in RAM.

I guess at some stage you changed tmp to be on RAM and that's got preserved on updates.
I've both upgrades to Mint 21.3 and a fresh install.
Several laptops, pcs and a workstation. Only 2 have SSDs (a laptop and a workstation)

With VMs more common (need more RAM) I can't imagine why you'd want to waste RAM on tmp files.

Last edited by Quoth; 05-14-2024 at 08:23 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert