Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #1
SouLThinking
Enthusiast
SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Nook Color
Angry Calibre and new Windows 8 laptops

I say laptops because this is the second laptop in a week that is doing this. I was using a windows 7 and no problems. I bought a new acer touchscreen laptop and it had a 1gh processor ..calibre kept freezing during every function. I figured it was too slow of a processor so I took it back and bought a toshiba with a 2.4 gh processor. 6 gb ram. It's doing the same thing and the toshiba is giving this error
calibre is using high cpu ..at one point it said 97% !!!
I am so lost. I did not have this problem on my windows 7 . I am so frustrated and don't have a clue what to do. I tried calibre portable and got the same thing. I went and downloaded an older version just to check and it is doing the same thing. Anyone have any ideas?
SouLThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Some suggestions here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2244745

Especially try to reduce the number of custom columns and remove or change the formats column as suggested.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2013, 10:26 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If this happens whilst processing jobs try

Preferences ->Behaviour->Job Priority - Low
Preferences->Miscellaneous->Max. simultaneous... jobs - 1
Preferences->Miscellaneous->Limit the max. simultaneous... - unchecked

I'm wondering if your Win7 system might have been quad core and your lappy is dual

Default values of the above are Normal, 3 and checked

I find I 'can get more done in a day' if I run 'batch' like jobs at low priority, one at a time; not just in Calibre, everything. Calibre is great because you can de-fang it with its own settings, most other programs I have to do it externally.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-05-2013 at 11:43 PM. Reason: add why
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:59 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouLThinking View Post
It's doing the same thing and the toshiba is giving this error calibre is using high cpu ..at one point it said 97% !!!
This isn't an error it is a feature. Follow BRs advice and you should be fine.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
SouLThinking
Enthusiast
SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Ok sorry it took so long to get back here but things have been crazy. I did what you said to do and it's not giving a warning saying that too much cpu is being used like it did this morning before I did this. But it is still taking quite a lot of time to do converting like one book took 3 minutes. Also, it still lags between functions. For example I was updating the series in and when I hit ok to close out it sticks there and waits. I am just wondering is there anything else I can do. I also googled and some other users that have touchscreen laptops when I have had problems with Calibre crashing. Yesterday mine was frozen for 15 minutes. Anyway, a guy on a computer help board I think it was a bug board for Calibre, he mentioned that if you have a touchpad it conflicts. I do have one but I also have a wireless mouse attached. He directed them to go into device manager which I can't even find on Windows 8 and disable it. I actually found the device listed under something else and disabled it there. I haven't seen a difference except it isn't giving me a warning about high cpu. It's still going slow though.
Advert
Old 08-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouLThinking View Post
...He directed them to go into device manager which I can't even find on Windows 8 and disable it...
Device Manager can be found in Control Panel just as it can in Win 7. If you do not know how to get to Control Panel you can find it:

- in "All Apps" (left click on the Start Page and right click on "All Apps", or
- when with the Start Page showing just start typing "Control Panel" (case insensitive) and Control Panel will pop up as an option, or
- when on the Start Page start typing "Device Manager" (case insensitive) with "Settings" selected when it pops up on the right side of the screen; Device Manager will be one of the options, or

- Well that's is not all the ways but probably enough .

If you use Control Panel often, just pin it to your Start Page.

In any event, Calibre works fine under Win 8, both 32 and 64 bit so there would seem to be some sort of conflict in your local environment.

Have you updated Win 8?

(EDIT: got my left and right mixed for one of the clicks )

Last edited by AnotherCat; 08-07-2013 at 09:38 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Nothing to do with Windows 8 but turning off the tag browser will probably speed things up a lot.

I love the tag browser but mostly keep it off now on advice from Kovid Goyal.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #8
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Device Manager can be found in Control Panel just as it can in Win 7. If you do not know how to get to Control Panel you can find it: ...
Or if you have the Desktop displayed simply move the cursor to the bottom left corner, ignore the Start Page "icon" that pops up, and right click to reveal a menu with several nice "power" options including access to Control Panel.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:45 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@SouLThinking - Books have been known to take hours to convert, 3 minutes is not unusual.

What did you disable the touchpad or the mouse? To disable the mouse just turn it off, if or if it has its own USB dongle just pull it out.

I suspect there's a lot of Toshiba & dealer rubbish running - Google for remove toshiba bloatware windows 8. You can disable or uninstall most of it. Dealers often load more crap on top of the manufacturers crap, restoring from the factory recovery disk will normally get rid of it.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:15 AM   #10
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Agree with BR regarding getting rid of the Toshiba, etc. bloatware, and if any Norton software is installed get rid of that especially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
Or if you have the Desktop displayed simply move the cursor to the bottom left corner, ignore the Start Page "icon" that pops up, and right click to reveal a menu with several nice "power" options including access to Control Panel.
Or among numerous others:

- WINDOWS KEY + I
- Type WINDOWS KEY + R and type Control
- as I said before, etc, the song goes on .
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:34 AM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
One other thing to remember; quite often laptops have much slower hard drives than desktops.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #12
SouLThinking
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
One other thing to remember; quite often laptops have much slower hard drives than desktops.
I had a samsung windows 7 laptop and it worked perfect before these 2 (two) windows 8 touchscreen laptops.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:17 AM   #13
SouLThinking
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@SouLThinking - Books have been known to take hours to convert, 3 minutes is not unusual.

What did you disable the touchpad or the mouse? To disable the mouse just turn it off, if or if it has its own USB dongle just pull it out.

I suspect there's a lot of Toshiba & dealer rubbish running - Google for remove toshiba bloatware windows 8. You can disable or uninstall most of it. Dealers often load more crap on top of the manufacturers crap, restoring from the factory recovery disk will normally get rid of it.

BR
Thanks I am gonna try this..I have a toshiba which I am surprised you knew that because I don't think I said it..but I'm so frustrated I could have. I had a Acer v5 before the toshiba .both touchscreen both very slow on calibre.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:18 AM   #14
SouLThinking
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Nothing to do with Windows 8 but turning off the tag browser will probably speed things up a lot.

I love the tag browser but mostly keep it off now on advice from Kovid Goyal.

Helen
Loved to try this but I need to know how LOL
Old 08-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #15
SouLThinking
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Device Manager can be found in Control Panel just as it can in Win 7. If you do not know how to get to Control Panel you can find it:

- in "All Apps" (left click on the Start Page and right click on "All Apps", or
- when with the Start Page showing just start typing "Control Panel" (case insensitive) and Control Panel will pop up as an option, or
- when on the Start Page start typing "Device Manager" (case insensitive) with "Settings" selected when it pops up on the right side of the screen; Device Manager will be one of the options, or

- Well that's is not all the ways but probably enough .

If you use Control Panel often, just pin it to your Start Page.

In any event, Calibre works fine under Win 8, both 32 and 64 bit so there would seem to be some sort of conflict in your local environment.

Have you updated Win 8?

(EDIT: got my left and right mixed for one of the clicks )
When you say update windows 8? My laptop does the windows updates automatically. How else do I update it? I am sorry if I seem stupid but I just haven't dealt with Windows 8 before these 2 fiascos.