Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-17-2010, 08:16 AM   #31
ondabeach
Groupie
ondabeach doesn't litterondabeach doesn't litter

Device: HTC touch Diamond, Ipaq 3115
Ok, I've given the library a face lift, check it out and let me know what you think.
ondabeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:49 AM   #32
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondabeach View Post

For the Readers:

Completely anonymous eBook purchase and download. You don not need to become a member or be logged in to the site to download our free public domain titles or to purchase paid eBooks.

Has this changed? I can't seem to do anything without logging in.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2010, 04:54 PM   #33
ondabeach
Groupie

doh!

my bad.

not enough sleep?

Fixed!

Tks.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:04 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Making someone register to see the site is a bad idea. Making them register to download/buy anything is ok.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:19 PM   #35
ondabeach
Groupie

You don't need to log in to view or download eBooks guys, I had a brain fart at 2am and uploaded an incorrect file version to the site. It is fixed now and ZuluExpress is once again the land of the anonymous. Of course I'll be adding lots of cool stuff for member's only, just ask and you shall (might receive.

But please do tell me what you think of the new look for the library

Last edited by ondabeach; 02-17-2010 at 05:20 PM. Reason: typo
Advert
Old 02-17-2010, 07:07 PM   #36
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I like the look, but when I click on the Library button, the buttons on the far right beside the book description are truncated and unreadable. I'm still impressed with your site and what you're trying to achieve with it!
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:36 PM   #37
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Poor grammar and punctuation in book descriptions doesn't inspire me to download those books. (And claiming that The Lost World created the genre of science fiction is a bit much... a lot of people put Shelley's Frankenstein as the first science fiction novel.)

The text boxes with the book descriptions should have a slight internal margins; it's hard to read text that's flush against the lines of the boxes.

The formatting of the books themselves--some of the free ones, anyway--is not good in the Firefox ePub reader. Some have no indents for paragraphs *and* no spaces between paragraphs; the Kipling poetry has hard returns after every line (with space between, even inside verses) and no bolding or indication of the start of a poem other than all caps; Dracula has chapters named Navpoint 1 through Navpoint 9.

Should not have clickable sub-sections with no content. If there are no books in that category, the link shouldn't be live.

Also--no direct download. Clicking "download now" opens a new tab in Firefox which opens the epub. The books should have a direct right-click-to-download button.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:52 PM   #38
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Also--no direct download. Clicking "download now" opens a new tab in Firefox which opens the epub. The books should have a direct right-click-to-download button.
This is actually due to the Firefox ePub app... it did the same for me. When I dumped the app, I retained download ability. (IOW, a problem with the app, not Zulu.)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:54 PM   #39
ondabeach
Groupie

Tks cbarnett, glad you like where it's headed.

Elfwreck, tks for your comments about the formatting, I will pass them on to the people editing the eBooks writing the synopses.

As far as who started the Sci-Fi genre, I'm sure there are dead people all over the world who would argue with both of us, if they weren't dead that is!

Tks for the info re the FF ePub app Stevo, as soon as I make any money you're going the payroll! (You do know I won't rest until ZR is a place you'd be proud to market your works)

I am in the process of creating new buttons to replace those daggy text ones (books by this author, reviews etc) so that column will dissappear soon.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:02 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And make it easy to find free books.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:11 PM   #41
ondabeach
Groupie

Hi wolf, you mean as a search option on the library screen, something like a filter? Right now 70% of our eBooks are free There is an option there now to 'Sort' your search result and one of the criteria you can choose is price.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:14 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondabeach View Post
Hi wolf, you mean as a search option on the library screen, something like a filter? Right now 70% of our eBooks are free There is an option there now to 'Sort' your search result and one of the criteria you can choose is price.
Not an option to sort on price, but a link that's easily seen to click to see a list of just the free eBooks that you can sort in multiple ways.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:33 PM   #43
ondabeach
Groupie

A filter it is that asking for you are? (that's my Yoda impersonation)

No problemo, on the library page, to the left (or above) the 'Sort By' box I will add an option to only show eBooks that are 'Free', under $3 or whatever.

I will now sharpen my coding pencil and be at it
Old 02-27-2010, 03:55 PM   #44
ondabeach
Groupie

Hi Guys, I've made some more changes/refinements based on these suggestions and ones from other threads. Some things are still coming but need to wait as they require broader changes throughout the site. I can't thank you all enough for your ideas, just keep'em comin'. the library page is starting to look pretty cool and I've got the required button clicks find and download/buy eBooks to a minimum.

If I let something slip through the cracks make sure to let me know.

Hi JSWOLF, your filter for hiding public domain titles is going in today.

Hi Elfwreck, we have started re-editing all of our public domain titles, synopses and sample chapters.

I'd love some feedback on the new feel to the library page and some more ideas to keep me working and out of trouble Check it out here.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:43 PM   #45
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Starting to get places.

I love the direct download links, sorting by price, etc.
Wishing you all the best, keep doing what your doing!
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote