Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-14-2022, 09:32 PM   #16
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
After some trial & error and some experimentation, I have root, the framework.jar à la Renate, and Key Mapper all set up and working. The physical buttons turn the page in every app I want them to turn the page. A couple of apps seem to prefer scrolling or swiping to a simple tap on one or the other side, but I'll work on them next time.

I would have saved myself a lot of time and reading of posts if I knew about this link sooner. It isn't necessary, for my purposes, to build Magisk modules the usual way. All I needed was right here.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 09:46 PM   #17
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
For my use case, I just “jumped onto the bandwagon” of another module to have my files replaced for example, ccbins (cross compiled binaries).
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2022, 09:54 PM   #18
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Another question: is 2GB RAM actually enough?
For KOReader, for example, with large CBZ files I can see that Task Manager shows around or slightly less than 1 GB free on my Kon-Tiki 2, which has 3 GB total
Old 11-14-2022, 09:56 PM   #19
mergen3107
Wizard

@downeaster59, so what happens to the button re-assignments when you flip the device 180 degree? For example, if you set physical lower button as “page forward” will this button have the same “page forward” when flipped?
Old 11-15-2022, 12:31 AM   #20
CrazyCoder
Zealot
CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (10th gen), Kobo Libra 2, Onyx Leaf2 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Eventually it will be possible using my mergesmali.exe and smali patches.
Right now baksmali (in apktool) is not up to speed so that I have to use my (recently updated) dexdump.exe to figure out offsets inside classes.dex
Then I have to hexedit it by hand.

At this very moment I'm working on "kpatch.exe".
It's a utility for patching kernels where all the addresses have changed.
It works in tandem with "kallsyms.exe".
Waiting for the guide from you. A new update is coming and I'll have to patch it again:

Spoiler:

Changes for the new version:

Spoiler:

Last edited by CrazyCoder; 11-15-2022 at 12:41 AM.
CrazyCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2022, 06:12 AM   #21
mergen3107
Wizard

@CrazyCoder
Oh wow you have the white version of Leaf 2! How is the contrast, sharpness and reflections compared to the screen on black one? Does screen content feel “closer to the surface”?
Old 11-15-2022, 06:27 AM   #22
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
@downeaster59, so what happens to the button re-assignments when you flip the device 180 degree? For example, if you set physical lower button as “page forward” will this button have the same “page forward” when flipped?
Good questions! I'll check them out when I have some more time.

I was also wondering about the 2 GB of RAM. Now that I've had the Leaf 2 for several days, I can say that it doesn't seem to make much difference. There's not much difference in performance between my Leaf and my Note Air 2 with 4 GB of RAM and a faster processor. Every now and then, I can see little more slowness in loading an app or doing something else, but overall, there's not much difference. E-Ink displays are slower than LCD ones anyway. The system will only be as fast as its slowest component.
Old 11-15-2022, 06:28 AM   #23
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCoder View Post
Waiting for the guide from you. A new update is coming and I'll have to patch it again:

Spoiler:

Changes for the new version:

Spoiler:
An update... now that I've just rooted! Well, I should remember how to do it again!

Edit: I needn't have worried. The update hasn't rolled out to my device yet!
Old 11-15-2022, 06:41 AM   #24
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
It isn't necessary, for my purposes, to build Magisk modules the usual way.
Oops, I should have made that point clearer.
There's a difference between just adding a module to your device vs. making a deployable module for others.
I just type up a module.prop, make a few directories and throw a file in.

Does the Leaf2 even use an auto-sensing cover?

Last edited by Renate; 11-15-2022 at 09:02 AM.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 09:12 AM   #25
CrazyCoder
Zealot
CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CrazyCoder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@CrazyCoder
Oh wow you have the white version of Leaf 2! How is the contrast, sharpness and reflections compared to the screen on black one? Does screen content feel “closer to the surface”?
I actually have both Posted a link to the screen comparison in another thread, but here it is again: https://imgur.io/a/BkJ66Md.
Old 11-15-2022, 09:15 AM   #26
CrazyCoder
Zealot

Quote:
Yes, the cover has a magnet and it reacts on it.
Old 11-15-2022, 09:18 AM   #27
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Oops, I should have made that point clearer.
There's a difference between just adding a module to your device vs. making a deployable module for others.
I just type up a module.prop, make a few directories and throw a file in.

Now I see why some people said that making a Magisk module is rather easy!

I ordered the stock cover along with my Leaf 2. It is an auto-sensing cover.
Old 11-15-2022, 09:20 AM   #28
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Flipping the device 180 degrees does not affect the button re-assignments.
Old 11-15-2022, 09:21 AM   #29
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Deleted

Last edited by Renate; 11-15-2022 at 09:28 AM.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 09:27 AM   #30
CrazyCoder
Zealot

Quote:
Do you have any "auto-magic" covers?
I only have the stock covers they came with, they do have magnets.