Thread: Miss my PB360
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2021, 03:08 PM   #8
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklekens View Post
who's still using their PB 360?
Mine is still working, kinda, sorta ... . It looks like display driver electronics is dying and sometimes it glitches and shows uniform thin horizontal lines across the display.
And, as you said, it can't hold a candle to a new front-lit displays.
Quote:
And if not, or even if you do, has anything come around that you like as much?
Nothing came out that could be compared to good old PocketBook software, its configurability, openness.
Nothing came out that would have similar built-in lid design.
When the first front-lit Kindle came out I bought it, but I couldn't stand the software. I was too spoiled by PocketBook. So when PocketBook came out with the first front-lit device I sold my Paperwhite and bought PocketBook.
I was still looking for something that would fit the pocket the way the PB360 used to. So I purchased a second-hand ONYX BOOX E43 4.3inch E-ink phone. The ONLY feature on BOOX E43 that wasn't a failure (when comparing to almost any other reader out there, not to mention PB360) was the size and pocketability.
Later on I got Yotaphone 2 and I am using it as a pocket reader until now. When you want to fully utilize the e-ink back screen you have to stick to YotaReader which can't hold a candle to FBReader180 my PB360 had.
As a the full-size and full-feature reader I am using an older model 6 inch rooted Android-driven front-lit e-ink reader. Android 4.xy allowed me to install various reading programs that approach the feature set that PB360 had out-of-box.
Quote:
If there were something with more or less this design, a new screen and current speed (but the same configurability of the old firmware, the possibility to use fbreader as reader software &c) -- I might try it out.
For the newer generations(*) of PocketBook I was using CoolReader, as it was more configurable. My daughter is still using it. But ... it was a long time since I had an opportunity to play with a new PocketBook.

(*) newer than PB360.
Each new generation of PocketBook seems to be more distant from the great software design pioneered by legendary PB360 and PB310 before it.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote