Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-03-2024, 11:05 AM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
What am I missing here. I thought in your first quote you were saying it is legal. It made me look, and this popped up (which I don't recall hearing about):

https://arstechnica.com/information-...-use-is-legal/
Fair Use was my reason for removing DRM when DMCA said you can't.

It's a good thing that it's legal to remove DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 11:05 AM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
If you're concerned about a book being identified by a UUID, just generate another UUID and replace it. I don't think it loses you anything.
The UUID is not a watermark. It is not linked to your Adobe account. It does not need to be modified or removed. The only reason to remove it is to save space.
Advert
Old 05-03-2024, 11:12 AM   #63
Jane Eyre
Zealot
Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle P.white3/Kobo Clara 2E
Well..it is incredible that the standard of conversation has got so low...
I agree with your complaints. Copyright laws are morally unfair to users, but if you choose to infringe the law then you must assume your responsibility for your actions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny View Post
This is the correct mindset, and it's sad to see people complacently following laws put in place by politicians who are getting their pockets lined by the corporations. People would seemingly give up their firstborn if a law mandated it.
Wooo how dare you?
It's easy to put ahead one's finger and judge other people from the other side of the globe. I am not the one having the power to change the rules..I'm not a member of the parliament of my country, I didn't write the law! I don't know the real situation there in America, here one risks from 6 months to 2 years of jail (in theory). Maybe this won't happen in a lifetime, but it is not up to YOU to decide what I must do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It may not be legal to remove the DRM in the USA. But I do it anyway because I do it for personal use. I refuse to have DRM on eBooks I've purchased.
You see? here we are! They don't sell us any real book; we pay for a license, that's the trick. We all need they change the term of the question, so that users could really purchased a book as it is for paper books.

Anyway, the aim of my previous message was simply to go in depth of the matter beacause I'm interested in the techical aspects about the DRM.
If it's not possible...I stop here.

Good luck to everyone.
Jane Eyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 11:33 AM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If I didn't remove the DRM, I could not convert most of the Amazon eBooks I have. I also could not fix the formatting for eBooks I read.

Mobipocket DRM was tied to the computer. So if you got a new computer or even a new system drive, you would not be able to do anything with the eBooks for DRM.

Microsoft stopped the DRM server for LIT format eBooks that you used MSReader to view. Because of this, all of those eBooks are no longer able to be read as long as they have DRM.

Before the Kindle, Amazon sold eBooks that had DRM and sometimes that DRM needed to be updated so people would download them again with updated DRM. Amazon stopped and the eBooks that people purchased were no longer able to be downloaded to update the DRM. So if anyone needed to update the DRM, too bad.

Some eBook stores have closed because of Apple and the major publishers getting together to stop eBook stores from being able to discount eBooks. They killed off their business models and they had to close.

These are reasons why everyone should remove DRM. If the DRM was not removed, you could have lost a lot of eBooks.

I do edit my eBooks so they look better because the formatting/code can be a mess or not what I want. To do that, any eBooks with DRM need to have the DRM removed.
Old 05-03-2024, 11:45 AM   #65
Jane Eyre
Zealot
Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
If I didn't remove the DRM, I could not convert most of the Amazon eBooks I have. I also could not fix the formatting for eBooks I read.
[..]
Well, it is a choice of yours. I don't judge
But for the same reason I don't want to be judged if I do things differently.

Though we think we are free to do what makes us happy, in fact we are not free.
If your Fair Use really allows to remove the hateful DRM..you are luckier than us the european people.
Advert
Old 05-03-2024, 11:53 AM   #66
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Eyre View Post

If your Fair Use really allows to remove the hateful DRM..you are luckier than us the european people.
If I lived in Europe, I would still remove any eBook DRM.
Old 05-03-2024, 12:14 PM   #67
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:

DMCA is USA.
Absolutely no-one in the EU or most of Europe will sue or prosecute you for DRM removal, only for selling or sharing copyright material that you have no right to share or sell.

Probably no-one anywhere will sue or prosecute anyone for DRM removal on privately kept material you bought. It's what you do after DRM removal that counts. The court cases are about illegal sharing.

Also there is no such thing at all ever possible as 100% secure DRM. If you can see or hear it, so can recording equipment.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 12:26 PM   #68
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I didn't write the law! I don't know the real situation there in America, here one risks from 6 months to 2 years of jail (in theory). Maybe this won't happen in a lifetime, but it is not up to YOU to decide what I must do.
Well, I'd rather go to jail than lose my ebook library. YMMV.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 12:44 PM   #69
Penny
Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Guys, guys, the severity of the crime or the reasoning behind it isn't the true issue here. Whatever is written in law is the absolute law, and none shall not stray away; it's simply that black and white. The law doesn't care how much money was lost from previously purchased DRM books. Whether it's removing DRM, jaywalking, or going a mile above the speed limit, all need to be arrested and prosecuted accordingly.

While I joke, sticklers of the rules will always have the moral high ground. There isn't much justification that can be provided for breaking any law. As DRM removers, we are all criminals at the end of the day.

Last edited by Penny; 05-03-2024 at 12:48 PM.
Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 01:24 PM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Guys, guys, the severity of the crime or the reasoning behind it isn't the true issue here. Whatever is written in law is the absolute law, and none shall not stray away; it's simply that black and white. The law doesn't care how much money was lost from previously purchased DRM books. Whether it's removing DRM, jaywalking, or going a mile above the speed limit, all need to be arrested and prosecuted accordingly.

While I joke, sticklers of the rules will always have the moral high ground. There isn't much justification that can be provided for breaking any law. As DRM removers, we are all criminals at the end of the day.
I'm not a criminal. The article linked proves that. Even when I might have been a criminal, I did remove DRM.
Old 05-03-2024, 01:32 PM   #71
Jane Eyre
Zealot

Quote:
This is a very honest and lucid argument! Bravo
Old 05-03-2024, 01:57 PM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
This is a very honest and lucid argument! Bravo
If you were with someone who really needed to get the the emergency room and you didn't feel there was enough time for an ambulance, would you break the speed limit getting this person to the hospital?
Old 05-03-2024, 02:29 PM   #73
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:

Untrue almost everywhere.

No, DRM removal is not a crime in most countries on material you bought.

There are issues with borrowed, renteda or subscription material. Removing DRM on that is wrong and can be fraud. On KU (Amazon) it defrauds the author/publisher. They don't get paid.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 03:24 PM   #74
Jane Eyre
Zealot

Quote:
If you were with someone who really needed to get the the emergency room and you didn't feel there was enough time for an ambulance, would you break the speed limit getting this person to the hospital?

What comparison is it????
Old 05-03-2024, 04:00 PM   #75
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
It's not an offence in the US. It is in the EU (there's no such concept as "fair use" here).
Removing DRM is probably illegal in the US, too. The DMCA forbids tampering with copy protection, so essentially the only digital media you can still legally copy for personal use is a music CD, as CD audio has no copy protection. Copying a DVD/Blu-ray/video game/e-book would be illegal. The DMCA gutted the concept of fair use.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote