Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-04-2024, 02:25 AM   #16
Ghostcat
Enthusiast
Ghostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the husk

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Collect Columns is a comma separated list, so you could have a column for the status (unread, read, etc) and another for the books properties (e.g. non-fiction, short story).

Personally, I use two columns: my Status column and a "column built from other columns, behaves like tags" which extracts a sub-set from my tags column.
Ghostcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 03:08 AM   #17
bluepeter
bluepeter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Or you can go into Preferences => Plugins, locate the KoboTouch driver and configure it from there.
Thanks. Out of interest, I've just tried that. I think that I'll stick with the route suggested by Sirtel if I need to access it again in future. It's simpler and quicker than trying to locate the driver in the Plugins list.

A little oddity has arisen somewhere in the process. I don't know if it's in Calibre, the KoboTouch driver or the Kobo firmware. For reasons that will become apparent, I think it's the Kobo firmware.

Last night, I bought a couple of new e-books and tried to sideload them onto two e-readers from Calibre. The Clara 2E accepted them happily, and they appeared in the correct collection. All was as I had expected.

But the problem arose with the new Clara Colour. Calibre reported the books as having been loaded into the device's memory. However, when I disconnected the device, the new books were nowhere to be seen. After repeating the exercise, with the same results, I tried something else. I closed Calibre, and loaded the books manually through Windows Explorer. I could see them on the device. After ejecting and disconnecting, they were again missing. I reconnected the Clara, and Windows Explorer showed me that the books had been deleted from it.

It looks as if the Clara Colour doesn't like something about the books after their metadata has been edited, and deletes them during the import process. I had no problems adding books to that device from Calibre when I first got it, before I installed the new plugin.

The Clara Colour is running a slightly newer firmware version (4.39.22861) than the Clara 2E (4.38.21908). I wonder what'll happen with the next firmware update to the 2E?
bluepeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 04:01 AM   #18
bluepeter
bluepeter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostcat View Post
Collect Columns is a comma separated list, so you could have a column for the status (unread, read, etc) and another for the books properties (e.g. non-fiction, short story).

Personally, I use two columns: my Status column and a "column built from other columns, behaves like tags" which extracts a sub-set from my tags column.
That sounds potentially interesting, but way beyond my competence! I'm already at - and probably a bit beyond - my limit, just trying to follow the simple instructions that I was given above.

I'd quite like sub-collections, so that I could divide fiction by genre (Crime, SF, etc.) and non-fiction by subject (Physics, Biology, Law, Politics, Music etc). But AFAIK, the Kobo firmware doesn't support this. And even if it did, I doubt if I could support it in Calibre unaided. Calibre is undoubtedly so clever that I'll never find half of what it can do. But the bits that I do use are all that I really need.
bluepeter is offline   Reply With Quote