Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-05-2024, 12:50 AM   #1
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Is there a way to batch remove downloads from a collection

I've set up my Kobo Libra Colour, and I'm liking it a lot, even with WiFi quirks, etc. However, after installing all my books and manga, I only had 4.4 gigabytes left of my 32 gigs. Obviously, the manga is the culprit. I just have to remove their downloads. Simple.

The problem is that I now have to manually remove the downloads of 90 manga. I've been poking around, and I can't see any way to batch remove these specific downloads without removing ALL THE DOWNLOADS. Is there a better method? Or am I stuck deleting them manually while watching TV tonight? Thanks in advance.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 01:03 AM   #2
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara 2E, Libra 2, Libra Colour
If you use Calibre, connect your Kobo and select the files you want to delete, then right click and select Remove selected files from device.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2024, 01:18 AM   #3
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
If you use Calibre, connect your Kobo and select the files you want to delete, then right click and select Remove selected files from device.
I don't actually want to remove the purchased books, but to keep their placeholders and just remove the downloads since I've organized them into collections. Of course, you can't do that with sideloaded books. Removing them just deletes them off the Kobo.
Old 05-05-2024, 05:26 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
I don't actually want to remove the purchased books, but to keep their placeholders and just remove the downloads since I've organized them into collections. Of course, you can't do that with sideloaded books. Removing them just deletes them off the Kobo.
You cannot have placeholders. It's the book or not.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 06:26 AM   #5
Lys
Zealot
Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Too many) Kobo(s)
Quote:
Filter your books list for "Purchased"
Change the view from "Cover view" to "List view"
Click on "Manage Books"

You should be able to select more books at the same time and remove them in batches (when you select "Remove" it gives you the option to remove the download or to put the books in the Archive)
Lys is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2024, 06:32 AM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
If your comfortable with editing the database/SQL, maybe use a SQL statement to remove the purchased downloaded books?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 10:01 AM   #7
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You cannot have placeholders. It's the book or not.

I’ve got 90 purchased manga without their downloaded data that disproves that.
Old 05-05-2024, 10:04 AM   #8
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lys View Post
Filter your books list for "Purchased"
Change the view from "Cover view" to "List view"
Click on "Manage Books"

You should be able to select more books at the same time and remove them in batches (when you select "Remove" it gives you the option to remove the download or to put the books in the Archive)

I’ve already manually removed them last night, but! I will definitely try this to see if it will save me time in the future. I need to remove other downloads in other collections. Will I be able to tell which ones are finished by following your steps?
Old 05-05-2024, 10:07 AM   #9
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
If your comfortable with editing the database/SQL, maybe use a SQL statement to remove the purchased downloaded books?

I’m afraid I have only played at editing SQL once when I extracted and merged a word list. I succeeded! But I have no idea how. LOL

Do I understand you correctly that I can put a command in the database to direct the Kobo to remove specific downloads? That’s powerful, if so.
Old 05-05-2024, 10:26 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I’m afraid I have only played at editing SQL once when I extracted and merged a word list. I succeeded! But I have no idea how. LOL

Do I understand you correctly that I can put a command in the database to direct the Kobo to remove specific downloads? That’s powerful, if so.
Or even easier is to create a separate calibre library and put all of those books in it.

If books are removed from the device, I would think they would also be removed from collections. Not fully sure on this. But I would think that it would work the same as deleting the books. If the books are not there, the database entries would also not be there.

One other option is to make dummy eBooks with the same name in the same collections and put them on top on the eBooks already there.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-05-2024 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-05-2024, 10:38 AM   #11
Lys
Zealot
Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Too many) Kobo(s)
Quote:
I’ve already manually removed them last night, but! I will definitely try this to see if it will save me time in the future. I need to remove other downloads in other collections. Will I be able to tell which ones are finished by following your steps?
I think you can mass delete downloads only from "My Books" view, not within collections (but I may be mistaken on this)
When you select books in "managing books" menu, you can see the reading status for any of them.
Lys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 01:33 PM   #12
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I would copy the database to a PC, use some SQL program to do the deletions, and then copy the database back.

I once did something similar: deleted all authors that didn't have any ebooks on the device.

Good luck.
Old 05-05-2024, 08:41 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I would copy the database to a PC, use some SQL program to do the deletions, and then copy the database back.

I once did something similar: deleted all authors that didn't have any ebooks on the device.

Good luck.
Sure you can remove the books from the database, but when you put the database back, the books will just get added back to the database as long as the books are still on the Kobo.
Old 05-06-2024, 06:47 AM   #14
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sure you can remove the books from the database, but when you put the database back, the books will just get added back to the database as long as the books are still on the Kobo.
I doubt it, you would need to do a sync first.

And are you sure of this? I thought you could delete the download, but still keep the entry in "My Books" (so I assume that the book wouldn't be downloaded on the next sync.) Jon, could you try it, please?
Old 05-06-2024, 07:32 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The book has to be removed from the Kobo or if it's just removed from the database, it will be added back in. Both have to be removed.