Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM   #1426
dollymadsy
dollymadsy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Hi, a little question, my sd card HAD died and i forgot to save the image so with a New sd card can I installing the image? Of course I have to do varios steps but I need to know if the image u can being me Will be able to used on my New sd card.
dollymadsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM   #1427
kooler
kooler began at the beginning.

Device: libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
PM sent.
Thank you so much DNSB.
I fixed my Kobo N418 Libra 2 boot issue by writing the disk image to a brand new µSD.
kooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:49 PM   #1428
Aardappel
New bee
Aardappel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD N249
Hi all,

I've been working on a bricked Kobo Clara HD for the past few evenings, prying it open, testing the battery (4.16V, not bad), putting the microSD card into my Windows computer (without Partition Magic, still have to fiddle with that too), trying to make an image copy of it with the VConsole tool but running into a read error - which leads me to think I've found my problem right there. I've been working my way through the Internet to stumble upon pgaskin and obviously this endless font of knowledge.

I've decided to decide not to try and start a new microSD card from scratch, partitioning it, copying the firmware to it and say 10 hail Mary's - as far more experienced MR-members have obviously tried and most of them appear to have failed.

Therefore (tl:dr) : I would like to request the firmware image for a Kobo N249 Clara HD.
Aardappel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM   #1429
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
PMs sent.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM   #1430
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollymadsy View Post
Hi, a little question, my sd card HAD died and i forgot to save the image so with a New sd card can I installing the image? Of course I have to do varios steps but I need to know if the image u can being me Will be able to used on my New sd card.
Yes. In fact, a new µSD card is what I recommend to use since quite often, the issue is with the old µSD card failing.
Old Yesterday, 04:10 PM   #1431
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardappel View Post
I've decided to decide not to try and start a new microSD card from scratch, partitioning it, copying the firmware to it and say 10 hail Mary's - as far more experienced MR-members have obviously tried and most of them appear to have failed.

Therefore (tl:dr) : I would like to request the firmware image for a Kobo N249 Clara HD.
You would need an image of an existing firmware install since many of the files and the storage layout are not included in the firmware images. Think of the Kobo downloadable firmware updates as a update package for the firmware and not an operating system and software installer.

The image file has the partitions already so no need for partitioning unless you use a larger µSD card and want to expand the FAT32 partition to increase the number of ebooks you can have on your Kobo.

Last edited by DNSB; Yesterday at 05:11 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM   #1432
Aardappel
New bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You would need an image of an existing firmware install since many of the files and the storage layout are not included in the firmware images. Think of the Kobo downloadable firmware updates as a update package for the firmware and not an operating system and software installer.
If what you say is true, then (still) it'd a pity that the earliest firmware release (4.8.11090) for the Clara HD can't serve as a 'baseline' to start off the flashing journey from scratch.

But thanks a million for the image file; it's just finished writing the image and now I'm off to Partition Magic
Old Yesterday, 04:24 PM   #1433
Aardappel
New bee

Better yet: I'm already at the registration step where I'll probably have to work some SQLite magic O: )

Thanks again! It works like a charm!
Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM   #1434
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardappel View Post
Better yet: I'm already at the registration step where I'll probably have to work some SQLite magic O: )

Thanks again! It works like a charm!
Great to hear that your Kobo is back amongst the living. Personally since Kobo does not check the email address used for registration, I used addresses such enoon@erehwon.org.
Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM   #1435
bricked_nia
bricked_nia began at the beginning.

Device: N306
N306 nia image

I would like the firmware image for a Kobo N306 nia
bricked_nia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:10 PM   #1436
DNSB
Bibliophagist

PM sent.

Tags
firmware requests