Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-25-2024, 05:33 PM   #1
gforgiraffe39935
Connoisseur
gforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nook, Kobo, Kindle
Arrow Last Days of the NOOK?

Since 2021, Barnes & Noble has released 3 new eReaders, implemented a new members rewards program that includes eBook and digital AudioBooks, redesigned their NOOK firmware to include reading trends, discontinued the Windows NOOK app, discontinued Read Outs (March 2024), discontinued Read-in-Store for 1 hour free with NOOK program (April 2024 apparently), and password locked Developer Settings on their NOOK e-ink devices.

So, I had some questions.

Questions for Nook 4 series owners:
1. Is there anyone who still purchases books from BN only? Is there a special reason or is it just because that's the only e-reader you have and don't care about owning the eBook files?

2. If you recently purchased a GL4 for the 32GB of space, did you know when you purchased it that BN would prevent you from using it all, and that you would only be able to access 5GB of space for your own, non-BN eBooks/PDFs?

3. If you knew that would discontinue the Read in Store for 1 hour free program in April 2024, would you have purchased a Nook GL4/4e/4+ anyway or gone for Kobo, Kindle, PocketBook or another brand?

4. Did you purchase NOOK ereaders because you liked the ergonomics and former ease of using them as Android e-ink readers (Dev Settings is pw locked as of April 2024)? Or were there other reasons you purchased a NOOK?

5. Are you excited about an eBook subscription plan from BN?

For my answers:
1. No, I would buy Kindle books if they were cheaper than BN or not available on BN. Then I discovered Kobo and preferred that because it was in EPUB.

2. I didn't know it was limited to 5GB of my own eBook files. I wouldn't have purchased the GL4 if I had known that in 2021. I would've bought a Kobo Libra 2.

3. I would've bought a Kobo Libra 2 or Meebook.

4. I like the design of the GL4 but wish it was waterproof like my older GlowLights were. I also would have no use for them now that they discontinued all of the NOOK in-store perks.

5. No. I have too many subscriptions in my life and prefer to use the library.

Last edited by gforgiraffe39935; 04-25-2024 at 05:33 PM. Reason: added more info
gforgiraffe39935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 07:44 PM   #2
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
It's a shame that B&N can't get out of their own way -- the hardware is nice, the only 6" reader with buttons on the side (yes, I know about PocketBook, but their buttons are ini a weird location), though the bezel is a bit larger than I'd like.

Overall very nice hardware, but I'd never consider one given how user hostile they are. I last gave them serious consideration when the original Nook (the one w/ the small LCD at the bottom for a cover browser) was out, but the performance was so bad and they had similar side-loading restrictions so I haven't considered one since.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2024, 09:05 PM   #3
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Just upgraded old tech to 4e

1. I have never purchased only from BN. Most of my purchases are at Amazon. However, several publishers transferred all their books to BN thus I still have a large collection to read.

2. Not concerned about the space. 5Gb will hold what I want.

3. I was disappointed that it was being discontinued but I knew before I bought the 4e.

4. Love the buttons!!! At least one of the new fonts is also easier for me to read than on the Glo3. (eye damage)

5. No interest. I have plenty of books already purchased waiting to be read.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 09:26 PM   #4
RWTS
Enthusiast
RWTS began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Not a Nook series 4 owner, but I've owned three Nooks and am currently using the Glowlight Plus 7.8. I can't resist tossing in my two cents.

1. I occasionally purchase Nook books, primarily when I have a B&N gift card. Buying eBooks really isn't a thing for me. I don't need to own them; the library is perfect for me since I rarely read a book a second time.

2. Space doesn't matter to me as I only load a few books at a time.

3. Never used Read in Store, so I don't miss it. But I'm surprised to hear it was discontinued this month.

4. I love the Nook's ergonomics! Buttons on both sides are a bonus (asymmetrical designs bug me for some reason), but the sheer comfort of the Nook in my hand for prolonged periods of time is exceptional. I don't use Nooks as Android devices, load other software or root them, so those aspects don't apply to me.

5. It doesn't interest me, but I see a subscription plan being a good thing to offer. Hope it's successful for B&N.
RWTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 01:09 AM   #5
christianbk
Connoisseur
christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: At least one of each brand
B&N had an opportunity to redefine their NOOK eReaders when the book stores started getting hooked into BookTok. Barnes & Noble stores were attracting younger audiences and were breaking out of the perception of being a store for the older generation and one that carried books like YA, romantasy, and manga that is appealing to younger readers.

They had this opportunity but have squandered it.

Instead, they generally have an audience of NOOK stalwarts that have stuck with their devices and like to really only try to use their older devices as much as possible. I would say NOOK users skew older than any other eReader brand.

What B&N could have done is gone in hard with their eReader devices to try to appeal to the “Kindle Girlies” audience, had better synergy with their premium membership (only until recently have ebook purchases over $10 counted for stamps), and made it so their devices aren’t some of the slowest on the market. I’ve looked and the leadership of folks for the NOOK line has been the same forever.

I’m a NOOK fan. I use their devices because I also purchase paper books at the store as well as utilize their Premium Membership for the B&N cafe for my kids and I. But I’m kind of getting over it. I like Kobo and how they have great devices that are responsive, comprehensive (small as well as larger Elipsa devices), and are a joy to use vs. the slow, sluggish NOOK devices.

Answering the questions:

1) I purchase from multiple stores but try to buy ebooks directly from authors as much as possible.

2) Eh to me. Annoying but not a dealbreaker. For 99% of their audience, I’d say also not an issue.

3) I did that a handful of times but eh. The problem is that no longer do B&N stores have comfy chairs, including at their cafes.

4) I like page turn buttons so ergonomics for me. I like how the buttons are on the very side, like a Kindle Voyage or the first Kindle.

5) I find ebook subscription selections to not be the kinds of books I read, so not interested.
christianbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2024, 06:15 PM   #6
jviscosi
Connoisseur
jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Focus, Nook Glowlight 4/4+, Inkbook Obsidian, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
1. Is there anyone who still purchases books from BN only? Is there a special reason or is it just because that's the only e-reader you have and don't care about owning the eBook files?
I don't think I ever purchased books from BN.

Quote:
2. If you recently purchased a GL4 for the 32GB of space, did you know when you purchased it that BN would prevent you from using it all, and that you would only be able to access 5GB of space for your own, non-BN eBooks/PDFs?
I was pretty sure this would be the case, but my ebook files are small so I figured no big deal. Plus I only planned to put a subset of books on the GL4.

Quote:
3. If you knew that would discontinue the Read in Store for 1 hour free program in April 2024, would you have purchased a Nook GL4/4e/4+ anyway or gone for Kobo, Kindle, PocketBook or another brand?
I don't care about this feature since who has time to go sit in a B&N store for an hour reading??? But I used to have a friend who was into Nooks and she used to do this. It was a big selling point for her.

Quote:
4. Did you purchase NOOK ereaders because you liked the ergonomics and former ease of using them as Android e-ink readers (Dev Settings is pw locked as of April 2024)? Or were there other reasons you purchased a NOOK?
They sent me a good coupon for the GL4 for no apparent reason so I figured I would try it. I was surprised how nice the hardware was and said so to my wife, who proceeded to buy me a GL4+ as a birthday present. That hardware is pretty nice too, but I missed using the Android reader I like, Moon+ Reader, so I did some checking around, and lo! It used to be possible to install other apps on the Nook. USED TO BE. I got in under the wire, but I wouldn't buy another one at this point, what with the function being locked now.

Quote:
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha no.
jviscosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 06:21 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I own a nook STR. I never could stand the firmware. And the fint handling is awful. The same font on my Sony Reader looked like a different font. The font handled fonts well. The nook not well at all.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 12:00 PM   #8
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022
I still have a Nook Glow that works but I am in the UK so Nook is irrelevant over here. In fact if I ever needed to factory reset my Nook I wouldn’t be able to register it anymore. The fact that a company sold e-readers and then wrote them off in countries outside the US makes me feel that they don’t deserve to still have digital customers.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 05:49 AM   #9
ryuji35
Zealot
ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ryuji35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight 4 Pearl Pink, Samsung Tab S6 Lite

- I purchase and sideload books. No problems so far.

- Yes, I knew this but if you use and install Calibre Companion to it, you can circumvent the limitations. I currently have many books in my Nook due to this.

- I live outside the US so I don't mind this.

- I purchased it due to the buttons, ergo design, and I was enticed by the Pearl Pink color. I will be pissed if they locked the Dev settings prior to me installing the Calibre Companion so yes, I will no longer purchase future Nooks due to this but since I still have Calibre Companion in my device, I am all good for now.

-Depends on how much.
ryuji35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 10:00 AM   #10
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gforgiraffe39935 View Post

1. I still have a working Windows 10 computer with Nook for Windows so I can still buy from BN, but I buy books where they are cheaper and sideload with no problem.

2. I am not sure that my GL4+ is restricted. When I look in File Explorer it says I have 24.7 Gb of available space. I haven't used 5 Gb yet, so we shall see. I don't have to have every book I own on my device anyway.

3. I don't go to BN to read so I really don't care about read in store.

4. I love having page turn buttons on both sides. I have arthritis in my hands and change hands a lot when I read. I don't care about developer settings. I just put books on and read.

5. Not really interested in a subscription. I tried Kindle unlimited for a while. I wanted to read too many books that were not part of the subscription so it wasn't worth it for me.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 11:03 AM   #11
gforgiraffe39935
Connoisseur
gforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nook, Kobo, Kindle
Great to see all the different answers, even from non-4 series owners!

The GlowLight 4 Plus isn't restricted in sideloading limits. Perhaps they assumed users who wanted a bigger screen would sideload comic books that take up more space.
Can someone confirm if GL4e (8 GB model) has a sideload restriction?

I can see that most of us love the buttons (myself included). I agree that it is my favorite feature of any NOOK. I particularly like that the NOOK GlowLight 4 buttons are consistent (unlike Kobo Sage) and quieter than others (cf. super clicky and loud Kindle Oasis 3rd Gen).

I am the rare person who regularly used the in-store feature, it seems. Perhaps their product research proved it wasn't a competitive feature and they may release something else soon.
gforgiraffe39935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 11:29 AM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Barnes and Noble are their worst enemy when it comes to Nook.

I've had the ST with Glowlight, 2015 Glowlight Plus and Glowlight 3. I think the GL4 looks terrific, hardware wise.

But their subpar firmware and limitations on sideloading just really drag it down.

And I stopped buying ebooks from them back when they abruptly removed downloading of purchased books, then changed the DRM in 2015.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 01:42 PM   #13
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I am tired of the same argument. Seems like everyone is on repeat. Yes people buy books on multiple platforms. I still buy Nook ebooks as well as KOBO and Amazon.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 03:38 PM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I am tired of the same argument. Seems like everyone is on repeat. Yes people buy books on multiple platforms. I still buy Nook ebooks as well as KOBO and Amazon.
Who's arguing?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 05:52 PM   #15
Omnigeek
Omnigeek is less competitive than you.Omnigeek is less competitive than you.Omnigeek is less competitive than you.Omnigeek is less competitive than you.Omnigeek is less competitive than you.Omnigeek is less competitive than you.Omnigeek is less competitive than you.Omnigeek is less competitive than you.Omnigeek is less competitive than you.Omnigeek is less competitive than you.Omnigeek is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD/HD+/Glowlight/460, Samsung GS9+, Kobo Aura H2O, iPad Pro/mini
1. I never only purchased from B&N. I liked the original Nook with Glowlight that allowed me to sideload using a microSD card and wish that were still implemented but I like the feel and look and durability of the GL4. I actually stopped buying from B&N because of how they implemented DRM and prevented me from making my own backup of the books I'd bought from them.

2. I did know B&N would prevent me from using all 32 GB of space although I was hoping we could use at least half of it for our own sideloaded content.

3. I would still have purchased the GL4. I don't read in store much anymore anyway.

4. I purchased the Nook because I liked the design and ergonomics and I specifically wanted an EPUB reader. I refuse to go Kindle. I was not happy with the weight and fragility of my Kobo when I had one in between Nook e-ink readers.

5. No.
Omnigeek is offline   Reply With Quote