Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-02-2024, 07:47 AM   #1951
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Ugh, so Pinecone Research. They very infrequently send out a survey, less than once a month at times. Each survey was 300 points and I could instantly redeem it for a $3.00 PayPal payment.

Whoops, they just raised the minimum cashout to 1000 points.

It's not even divisible.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 08:32 AM   #1952
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
My phone thinking I need assistance with correctly using it's/its. Especially when it's wrong 98% of the time when "correcting" its to it's.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 08:52 AM   #1953
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Siri in the car.

Me: "Siri, call X" the numbers are in my contacts, with 2 different labels
Siri: "would you like to cal xxx xxx xxxx or yyy yyy yyyy?"

How about a little help siri and use the labels when asking.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:31 AM   #1954
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

User interfaces with small buttons.
Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM   #1955
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
User interfaces with small buttons.
I strongly agree. I've got a smartphone with a screen that's about 2.75 inches by 6.25 inches, yet the on-screen keyboard only takes up about the bottom quarter of that space. Although it does have an option to make the keyboard larger (so it takes about a third of the screen) it is not large enough.

That's why I went back to typing on the 12-key phone pad like the one on my flip phone. While it seems slower to type on, it's actually faster because with the small keys I was often tapping the wrong keys (as an example: I want to type a "C" and I end up typing "X", "V", "D" or the space bar) that I have to go back and correct. With the 12-key pad when I want to type a "C" I actually get a "C".

The only issue I have with it is that for some reason they put "S" (a very common letter) on the 7 key so I have to tap it four times to get an "S". They should have put it on the "8" key as the first letter.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM   #1956
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Portable devices being made too light and thin so they are not all that good to hold.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM   #1957
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Portable devices being made too light and thin so they are not all that good to hold.
yet they announce that as a feature, like this "Its new frameless four-sided NanoEdge display boasts an ultraslim 5.7mm bezel" *so thin that it can almost cut you like a knife!*
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM   #1958
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I think Samsung removed the headphone jacks from their phones in order to make them skinnier. (Or possibly to push sales for Bluetooth headphones.)
Old Yesterday, 04:09 PM   #1959
Comfy.n
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I think Samsung removed the headphone jacks from their phones in order to make them skinnier. (Or possibly to push sales for Bluetooth headphones.)
I've learned about that removal only recently. I had to upgrade in January from an A3 2016 to an s10e, because it's the closest in compactness and fortunately, as it's a 2019 model, it still has the headphone jack. Also, it came with a free case that makes it good to hold, because it adds thickness to the device and has a good grip.

According to this article, "the company simply wants to save space for other parts."

Last edited by Comfy.n; Yesterday at 10:07 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:52 PM   #1960
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfy.n View Post
I've learned about that removal only recently. I had to upgrade in January from an A3 2016 to an s10e, because it's the closest in compactness and fortunately, as it's a 2019 model, it still has the headphone jack. Also, it came with a free case that makes it good to hold, because it adds height to the device and has a good grip.

According to this article, "the company simply wants to save space for other parts."
The problem with Bluetooth is that it isn't as good as a wired connection. I've used it with my digital audio player and at times when I'm using Bluetooth the audio will cut out. I don't know if it is because of my headphones (a pair of Shokz OpenMove bone conduction headphones) or because my digital audio player is using Bluetooth Version 4.2.
Old Yesterday, 09:01 PM   #1961
Comfy.n

Bluetooth has an inevitable audio delay in many cases
Old Yesterday, 09:09 PM   #1962
Comfy.n

As for USB-C earphones... that's another vent and rant, for reasons I don't care to argue ATM...
Old Today, 01:30 AM   #1963
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard

Quote:
Bluetooth has an inevitable audio delay in many cases
An audio delay shouldn't be an issue if you listening to music. It's only an issue if you are watching video or playing video games since the audio must stay in sync with the video.

What I would like to see is a set of Bluetooth headphones that contains a buffer memory. That way the audio is sent to the buffer, and you listen to the audio from the buffer. If there's an interruption in the Bluetooth signal the buffer gives the player time to recover before there is an interruption in the music.

Related example: When they were introducing Minidisc they showed just how skip proof the player was by, when the music was playing, pulling out the Minidisc, holding it up and then putting it back in the player with no interruption of the music.
Old Today, 11:16 AM   #1964
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
yet they announce that as a feature, like this "Its new frameless four-sided NanoEdge display boasts an ultraslim 5.7mm bezel" *so thin that it can almost cut you like a knife!*
That's OK if it's a TV because it's not portable.

One thing I do like is that my phone is not larger and heavier and much easier to hold. And because my phone is not larger and thicker, the speakers are much better then they were before.
Old Today, 11:22 AM   #1965
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
The problem with Bluetooth is that it isn't as good as a wired connection. I've used it with my digital audio player and at times when I'm using Bluetooth the audio will cut out. I don't know if it is because of my headphones (a pair of Shokz OpenMove bone conduction headphones) or because my digital audio player is using Bluetooth Version 4.2.
I've never had any Bluetooth headphones/earbuds cut out other then when the battery is flat. I think it's your Shokz that's the problem.

Even using Bluetooth with my TVs, I've never had a cut out or audio sync issue.