Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-04-2024, 03:28 PM   #1
Pen&Paper
Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite & Kobo Libra Colour
Libra Colour & Popsocket

I'm not a fan of buttons. And one of the buttons on my Libra Colour is a bit hard to push, doesn't click like the other. Also, when I read on my back, holding my Libra, after a while, it puts too much pressure on my thumb. Maybe I was not holding it right? I had a Popsocket on my Paperwhite, and I liked it very much. I thought that the larger bezel with buttons would do the trick, but not really. Anyway, I had a spare Popsocket and voilà. Highly recommended for the people who don't have a thumb with super strength.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6523.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	647.2 KB
ID:	208044

Name:	IMG_6524.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	862.4 KB
ID:	208045

Name:	IMG_6525.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	208046
Pen&Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 06:40 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I mostly hold my Libra 2 by the back cover. There is no pressure on my thumb. Also, I do not use the buttons. I use my thumb to swipe to turn the page.

If I was to put a popsocket on my L2, I'd not be able to put it down flat and I'd never get it in my bag for taking my L2 with me when I go out.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2024, 07:22 PM   #3
Pen&Paper
Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was waiting for your negative comment. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2024, 09:24 PM   #4
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
I’m not a fan of popsockets in general. As for ereaders, I have a cover/case that helps me hold them. However, if my daughter didn’t already have a book cover for her Clara HD, she’d be super excited about your clever solution. She doesn’t have a weak thumb, but she does have hemiplegia. I think I’ll run this solution by her to see what she thinks.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 09:25 PM   #5
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen&Paper View Post
I'm not a fan of buttons. And one of the buttons on my Libra Colour is a bit hard to push, doesn't click like the other. Also, when I read on my back, holding my Libra, after a while, it puts too much pressure on my thumb. Maybe I was not holding it right? I had a Popsocket on my Paperwhite, and I liked it very much. I thought that the larger bezel with buttons would do the trick, but not really. Anyway, I had a spare Popsocket and voilà. Highly recommended for the people who don't have a thumb with super strength.

Attachment 208044

Attachment 208045

Attachment 208046
Personally, I suspect you've got a bad unit. I don't have issues with the buttons on mine but others have reported that they've had similar issues. I'm going to chalk that up to Kobo's inconsistent QC, like the earlier models with uneven frontlights.

Also, have you tried a cover? That might give you the extra leverage you need, by adding a bit more thickness to the unit.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2024, 10:19 PM   #6
Pen&Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
Personally, I suspect you've got a bad unit. I don't have issues with the buttons on mine but others have reported that they've had similar issues. I'm going to chalk that up to Kobo's inconsistent QC, like the earlier models with uneven frontlights.

Also, have you tried a cover? That might give you the extra leverage you need, by adding a bit more thickness to the unit.
I saw people reporting the same thing on Reddit about the buttons.

I don’t like the idea of a cover, because it would add weight. With the popsocket, it’s like I wasn’t even holding the device. I swipe pages with my thumb. For me, it’s very comfortable in any position I read.
Old 05-04-2024, 10:27 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
There is no right or wrong way to hold an ereader. Everyone holds it as it suits them best. Some like having covers/cases, others use popsockets or other similar solutions, some folks don't use anything. Personally I don't use anything, I find my ereaders are most comfortable for me to hold without a cover or anything else. YMMV.

Edit: I don't read lying down, ever. The reading position also makes a difference in how you hold your device. Sitting, lying on your side or on your back and so on.

Last edited by Sirtel; 05-04-2024 at 10:31 PM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 11:57 PM   #8
Pen&Paper

Sometimes I read lying on my back and my feet resting on a pillow against the wall. Sometimes lying on my side, in bed, at night. Rarely sitting straight. I’m a strange reader I guess. A yogi reader maybe. lol.
Old 05-05-2024, 03:18 AM   #9
Rid
Addict
Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura HD (R.I.P.) :(
Quote:
Anyway, I had a spare Popsocket and voilà. Highly recommended for the people who don't have a thumb with super strength.
Lol great idea! I have few of those.

I have only had modern Kobo ereaders and I thought the Aura HD had the best shaped surface, but the back was way too slippery. But after I broke it, I realised I could but a velvet - school book type contact cover\protector the clear vinyl stick-on protectors - would have solved that problem. All the other ereaders are just a straight thin, flat rectangle panel (including my Aura One). The texture is better but not ergonomic.

I am going to try this!!
Rid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 01:30 PM   #10
Pen&Paper

Make sure you put it in the right position before installing it. It's a bit hard to take out. Which is a good thing.
Old 05-06-2024, 01:34 PM   #11
Pen&Paper

If I was to put a popsocket on my L2, I'd not be able to put it down flat and I'd never get it in my bag for taking my L2 with me when I go out.

To answer this, I'd say, look : there's another side! Yes, you can put down your Kobo on the screen side on a flat table. Wow.

Also, you can push the popsocket down. It will fit in a bag.

Name:	IMG_6528.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	208100

EDIT : Some people buy a clear case and stick the popsocket on it, with colourful stickers to personalize their ereader.

Last edited by Pen&Paper; 05-06-2024 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-06-2024, 01:38 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

To answer this, I'd say, look : there's another side! Yes, you can put down your Kobo on the screen side on a flat table. Wow.

Also, you can push the popsocket down. It will fit in a bag.

Attachment 208100
I don't like the idea of pushing on the back of my L2. Also, I don't like putting it face down.
Old 05-06-2024, 01:41 PM   #13
Pen&Paper

OK, this community has named mods, apparently, that protects the stupidity of their old members, and delete posts for silly reasons. Good buy, assholes.
Old 05-06-2024, 01:42 PM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I tend to hold both the Colour and my older H2O inverted in the right hand with the thumb resting on the thin bezel, and then turn pages with the buttons (top button to turn forward) with my right hand.

I also am known to hold it just in the right hand (still in the inverted orientation) and turn buttons with the right thumb on the top button.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 01:45 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I tend to hold both the Colour and my older H2O inverted in the right hand with the thumb resting on the thin bezel, and then turn pages with the buttons (top button to turn forward) with my right hand.

I also am known to hold it just in the right hand (still in the inverted orientation) and turn buttons with the right thumb on the top button.
I mostly hold the L2 with the cover flipped over and my thumb resting on the bezel. Then I use my thumb to swipe the screen to turn the page.