Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-05-2024, 11:55 AM   #1
pnwkayaker
pnwkayaker began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note Air 3C
Note Air 3/3C - need some guidance

Hello,

I’m strongly considering the Note Air 3 (or 3C) as a gift to my wife and I have some questions that I hope you can help me with.

Intended use/background:
- mostly as an e-book reader and as a PDF annotation tool (technical PDFs).
- She doesn’t have an ebook reader, mostly uses her laptop to read both Kindle and PDFs. She also carries several books when traveling if she leave the laptop behind.
- I was almost set on getting her a Kindle Scribe but I’m reading how difficult is to synch PDFs and notes (requiring the use of a cloud service) that I’m moving away from it (want to make it super simple for her).

Questions:
- I believe I can download the Kindle app and install it in the Note Air 3/3C, is that correct? How is the experience of using the Kindle app in the Note Air, is it as good as a regular Kindle device?
- Can I install a regular ePub reader in the Note Air 3/3C that can sync wirelessly with Calibre? On my iPad I have MapleRead SE that works great for it
- Can I upload PDF directly to the device without going through a cloud service (either wirelessly or via USB)? Does it support native PDF (no conversion required)?
- PDF annotations: how good is your experience with it? Can I annotate directly on the PDF such that if later I retrieve the PDF from the Note Air it can keep the annotations with it?
- I believe there’s an SD card reader in the Note Air 3/3C, can I copy books/PDF to it using the laptop and read them directly from the Note Air 3/3C, or do they need to go through a conversion process?
- Laslty, is it worth buying the Note Air 3C over the monochrome Note Air 3 version? Is there a battery life penalty for it?

Thanks in advance for your answers!
pnwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 01:50 PM   #2
Vrondi
Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (First Gen).
I can't answer all of your questions, but I can tell you that since this is an Android device, you can install most Android apps on it. Not all types of apps will work well, but you should be able to use pretty much any reader app you like (including Kindle or Kobo), comic viewers, epub readers, etc.

I think the MyDeepGuide videos on these will be very helpful to you:

Note Air 3 video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBHs1EPTUhE

Note Air 3C video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h_EZgusrP4

He really goes into a level of detail that you don't see much elsewhere.
Hope that helps!
Vrondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2024, 02:00 PM   #3
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
EPUB & PDF viewers are standard on all Onyx devices.
Of course many people prefer other 3rd party applications.

I sync all my devices using ADB and my AdbSync.exe
If you're all MAC, ADB will still work, but not AdbSync.exe

I don't do Kindle or Calibre or annotations, so I can't say much about that.

+1 for My Deep Guide.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote