Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-13-2024, 09:00 PM   #766
wibblywobbly
wibblywobbly began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 4
A bit confused

First up, thanks so much for providing this fix and also for everyone chipping in with help.

I think I've done everything correctly but maybe I'm misunderstanding the final setup of how my PW4 should end up.

I had it registered on Amazon before so I thought if I followed the steps

Quote:
If your kindle is registered to an Amazon account:
Enter ;enter_demo into the Kindle search bar, then reboot your device.
The device will be back in full "Demo Mode". Use the same gesture to access the main screen.
Enter ;demo into the Kindle search bar.
Select Resell device, then confirm.
The device will reboot. If all is well, your Kindle should have a folder named mkk in the root directory.
Then when my device loads up again, I will be re-signed in to my account. Is this just dumb thinking on my behalf, have all my previous settings and everything been wiped? (I can see the library has, but maybe this part above confused me into thinking everything would be back to normal, logged in, just minus the library)

Also, after I did all this, I could see the mkk folder before, but once I did resell it's gone. Did something go wrong?
wibblywobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 12:44 PM   #767
VamoseSugar
VamoseSugar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle KT3
updated the kindle oasis 10th gen to 5.16.2.1.1, tried everything, unable to jailbreak kindle oasis. Any help.

https://github.com/notmarek/LanguageBreak

First part: Jailbreaking your Kindle (done, but not sure if it is working, how do I know, no way to find out if things did work out)

Second part: Applying the Hotfix (system stays in Chinese and unable to move forward) (Update error: 2)

Does kual automatically install or additional steps are required.

Kindle Oasis 10th gen, trying hard to jailbreak

Last edited by VamoseSugar; 02-16-2024 at 01:08 PM.
VamoseSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2024, 03:01 PM   #768
rig3l
rig3l began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 9th (KOA2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VamoseSugar View Post
updated the kindle oasis 10th gen to 5.16.2.1.1, tried everything, unable to jailbreak kindle oasis. Any help.

https://github.com/notmarek/LanguageBreak

First part: Jailbreaking your Kindle (done, but not sure if it is working, how do I know, no way to find out if things did work out)

Second part: Applying the Hotfix (system stays in Chinese and unable to move forward) (Update error: 2)

Does kual automatically install or additional steps are required.

Kindle Oasis 10th gen, trying hard to jailbreak
If you are in the correct version firmware it must work. I did jb with a Oasis 10th.

If after of hotfix of your language the kindle is in Chinese, probably the kindle is not jailbreaked and you didn't install the hotfix.
rig3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 05:13 AM   #769
VamoseSugar
VamoseSugar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle KT3
Thanks rig3l
Managed to get JB done. Mistake was related to copying the folder content, & not the folder in the first step.

Which applications are working on kindle oasis?
Got
KoReader installed & working
Leafpad doesnot work

Anyother app, such as calculator or other? Can u share the link.
VamoseSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 08:22 AM   #770
scribe_user
scribe_user began at the beginning.

Device: scribe
Kindle scribe jailbreak

Hi
Quote:
@mergen3107
I have a new kindle scribe and tried following the JB steps given by you(Thank you for sharing). But somehow, I am ending up in "Demo" mode, with jailbroken scribe. I need your advice.
After which step do we need to exit the demo mode(in demo mode --> can't deactivate the Airplane mode/Change wifi settings/use web browser) ?

Steps given by you:

5) After the Chinese language selection, it will put you back to demo.

6) Do not leave demo yet, install both Marek's and NiLuJe's hotfixes first.
Doubt: Can we place both, Marek's and NiLuJe's hotfixes, in the mrpi package folder and install them through UYK at a time ? Or do we need to do Marek's Hotfix first --> UYK --> Scribe restarts in demo mode --> NiLuJe's Hotfix install --> UYK --> Scribe restarts in demo mode

7) Then type ;demo then hit yes. It will ask about demo but actually let you in normal mode.
8) Here connect Kindle to PC and drop in NiLuJe's hotfix.

9) At that moment we are in the Amazon Out-of-Box Experience screen that lets you sign-in but doesn't have menus, search bars or other meaningful buttons. So, go to the Browser again as in Steps 2-3, this time type ;711 . A screen with network info will show up, but we only need to hit three dots in the corner - Update Your Kindle. I don't know if this hotfix reinstallation step is necesary, but just in case...

Doubt: ;demo --> Side load Content --> NiLuJe's hotfix --> UYK --> Scribe Restarts in demo mode

10) Restart Kindle Scribe TWICE. Do not sign-in anywere yet. This will make sure JB survives.

Doubt: Can we exit the demo mode here, so that kindle restarts in Normal mode ? Restart twice --> ;demo --> Resell --> ok --> Install NiLuJe's Hotfix through browser using ;log mrpi --> restart

Then continue with remaiming steps suggested by you in the same order .

Thanks,
scribe_user
scribe_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2024, 10:14 AM   #771
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
If you just follow my instructions step by step, you should be fine.

Unless something changed on FW higher than 5.16.5
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 08:29 AM   #772
wibblywobbly
wibblywobbly began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Looking forward to Jailbreak for 15.6.6!

I'm so annoyed with myself! A cautionary tale...

I had everything working, and I was trying to get Calibre Collections plugin to work, and was having some issues.

The next day I went to open KUAL again to try to export via LibrarianSync and KUAL wouldn't open (something like it wasn't a proper application or something, I should've screenshotted).

So as I couldn't get it to run, and I tried both reinstalling it and mrpi, and then ;log mrpi wasn't doing anything, I thought I'd just start the whole jailbreak process again, as it all worked first time.

So I factory reset using the option in the menu....

I now am somehow upgraded to 15.6.6!!! So no more Jailbreak stuff for me!

I guess I'll just have to wait a while for someone clever to work out how to Jailbreak this FW!

See you all in a few years!!
wibblywobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 10:48 AM   #773
jlinear
Connoisseur
jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Aura One, Libra 2, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by wibblywobbly View Post
So I factory reset using the option in the menu....

I now am somehow upgraded to 15.6.6!!! So no more Jailbreak stuff for me!

I guess I'll just have to wait a while for someone clever to work out how to Jailbreak this FW!

See you all in a few years!!
I had to do a couple factory resets while stumbling through the Languagebreak process on my 11th gen Paperwhite. But I was quick to turn off WiFi after giving my username and password. There was a temporary "partial" install file in the root directory with, as I recall, zero bytes of data which I deleted. I was eventually able to complete the jailbreak. If you are quick to turn off WiFi, doing a factory reset should not be too much of a hinderance.
jlinear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 10:49 AM   #774
scribe_user

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post

Managed to Jailbreak-->Upgrade(5.16.6.1)-->Downgrade(5.16.2)-->NiLuje's Hotfix-->Successful JB.
Thankyou everyone involved and sharing.
Experimental Browser is the only concern in 5.16.2. Sacrificing it for KO Reader. Couldn't access ankiweb in the experimental browser.
Old 02-25-2024, 06:57 PM   #775
Deichgraf
Deichgraf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Kindle PW3 on 5.16.2.1.1 -- this was tough. I tried ten times without ever being asked the language question. In the end, I had to restore to a fresh 5.16.2.1.1 image (using download links at bottom of original post). Then I was able to see the language selection screen.

Don't give up!
Deichgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 07:10 AM   #776
scribe_user

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post

Hello mergen3107,

My Jailbroken Scribe has a file starting with mesquite_xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.core file, which is around 150 mb. Can I delete it ?

Thanks,
Scribe user
Old 02-26-2024, 10:45 AM   #777
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribe_user View Post
Hello mergen3107,

My Jailbroken Scribe has a file starting with mesquite_xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.core file, which is around 150 mb. Can I delete it ?

Thanks,
Scribe user
Core files are a dump of memory when a process crashes. They can be used during debugging. Unless you know how to do that, you might as well delete them.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...y-is-it-useful
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 03:41 PM   #778
slaveofCHRIST
slaveofCHRIST began at the beginning.

hello folks, just bought my kindle scribe yesterday and i upgraded already to 5.16.6.
can i downgrade and then jailbreak? pls help
slaveofCHRIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 05:14 PM   #779
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1
Nope.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 07:24 PM   #780
cleokatra
cleokatra began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 10th Gen
Thank you for the written tutorial.
I have Officially jailbroken my Kindle Oasis 10th Gen.

I have some questions!
I had software 5.13.5 installed and this is what I Jailbroke on. I personally don't like the way this version looks and would like to upgrade to one of ther new updates.

1. So first of all, can I update my kindle - while its jailbroken, and keep it jailbroken.

2. Which version is opitmal (with no auto updating bugs) and where can i get the info to do that. Or please just type it out here for me.

3. Noob at jailbreaking kindles, so what do I do next? lol I have no real idea of the capabilities of a jailbroken device. Kind of just wanted custom screensavers -- how can I download the software that allows for that

4. Please reccomend anything else i'd have some fun with.

Thank you!!!!
cleokatra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak, jailbreak 5.16..2.1.1, languagebreak