View Single Post
Old 04-19-2024, 03:12 PM   #1
Vanguard3000
Groupie
Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Reliable place to get publisher info

I've been rebuilding my ebook library in Calibre and so far, I've been using the ISBNs to scrape publisher info from Goodreads, but I'm finding it to be somewhat inconsistent. The librarians at GR may have use any number of options, including but not limited to:
  • Publisher (e.g. Simon & Schuster)
  • Publisher office (e.g. Simon & Schuster UK)
  • Division (e.g. Pocket Books)
  • Imprint (e.g. Baen Books)
  • Other (e.g. "Simon & Schuster / Star Trek" or just "Star Trek")
Presentation of the publisher name may also be inconsistent:
  • Simon & Schuster
  • Simon and Schuster
  • Simon & Schuster, inc
  • Simon & Schuster, Inc.

I've tried scraping from other sources and they all seem inconsistent like this. I don't mind checking them as I go but It's not always clear what's best to put in Calibre's "Publisher" box. The top-level company, or the "deepest" level, like an imprint. And is there a reliable place in the title or copyright page to get this info?

Thanks in advance.
Vanguard3000 is offline   Reply With Quote