View Single Post
Old 12-06-2023, 08:38 AM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWTS View Post
I don't think Barnes & Noble is being anti-consumer or has a dim view of its customers. I think it's just a sign of the times. Every company wants us to use its app. It used to be I could simply text when picking up an order at a restaurant, grocery store or other retailer. Now more and more places require an app.
It was an "app." A Windows "app" in their store. If it had been a regular application I could have the downloaded it, so I would be able to install it again if I had somehow lost my original install. Now it's just gone.

Quote:
Most members here are advanced users. The average ebook reader is probably using the Kindle app on their phone.
I have the apps installed to test them but I don't use them. Most of the time I carry a flip phone with me (if I remember to carry any cellphone at all).

Quote:
I know I'm an outlier here. I don't download books, remove DRM, reformat and all that. I'm primarily a library user; when I do purchase books, I read them and then archive them. There's a certain comfort that my purchased B&N books are available on my PC, but this isn't going to change my habits. I'll still buy Nook books when I get B&N gift cards.
I like to be able to change the formatting and fonts in the books I buy. And I don't trust corporations to always be there, or to not lose my purchased books.

Quote:
Since I am an outlier, I'm not all up to date on things. But hasn't Amazon also updated their app to make downloading and removing DRM a pain without jumping through a bunch of hoops? I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually stop offering a Windows app.
As of now you can still download the books from Amazon's website, provided you have a Kindle registered with Amazon.

Last edited by rcentros; 12-06-2023 at 08:41 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote