View Single Post
Old 05-02-2024, 10:21 AM   #37
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Sage. Ex Sony (PRS-500, -600, -650 and Nook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For me, that liberation moment was when Microsoft announced they were turning off their servers that managed DRM for their .LIT format. Thankfully, ConvertLIT allowed me to remove DRM from all but 2 of my .LIT format ebooks prior to the shutdown. Oddly, the only publisher that allowed me to download replacement ebooks in a different format without payment was Baen who do not use DRM though one publisher did offer me the chance to re-purchase their books for 33% off.
For me it was when the Sony store closed. I had a PRS-500 in 2006. I'd bought ebooks prior to that and read them on Windows CE devices. Anyway, when Sony folded the Reader they did arrange with another ebook provider to allow migration of most of my books.... most... but not all. That was the day I realized I needed to future proof.

And that goes for installers too... thanks to ehbowen, I've already downloaded all the links above and will do a systemwide backup so that when this computer dies I might have a shot at recovering the Nook app.
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote