View Single Post
Old 04-26-2024, 01:09 AM   #5
christianbk
Connoisseur
christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: At least one of each brand
B&N had an opportunity to redefine their NOOK eReaders when the book stores started getting hooked into BookTok. Barnes & Noble stores were attracting younger audiences and were breaking out of the perception of being a store for the older generation and one that carried books like YA, romantasy, and manga that is appealing to younger readers.

They had this opportunity but have squandered it.

Instead, they generally have an audience of NOOK stalwarts that have stuck with their devices and like to really only try to use their older devices as much as possible. I would say NOOK users skew older than any other eReader brand.

What B&N could have done is gone in hard with their eReader devices to try to appeal to the “Kindle Girlies” audience, had better synergy with their premium membership (only until recently have ebook purchases over $10 counted for stamps), and made it so their devices aren’t some of the slowest on the market. I’ve looked and the leadership of folks for the NOOK line has been the same forever.

I’m a NOOK fan. I use their devices because I also purchase paper books at the store as well as utilize their Premium Membership for the B&N cafe for my kids and I. But I’m kind of getting over it. I like Kobo and how they have great devices that are responsive, comprehensive (small as well as larger Elipsa devices), and are a joy to use vs. the slow, sluggish NOOK devices.

Answering the questions:

1) I purchase from multiple stores but try to buy ebooks directly from authors as much as possible.

2) Eh to me. Annoying but not a dealbreaker. For 99% of their audience, I’d say also not an issue.

3) I did that a handful of times but eh. The problem is that no longer do B&N stores have comfy chairs, including at their cafes.

4) I like page turn buttons so ergonomics for me. I like how the buttons are on the very side, like a Kindle Voyage or the first Kindle.

5) I find ebook subscription selections to not be the kinds of books I read, so not interested.
christianbk is offline   Reply With Quote