Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-08-2016, 04:56 PM   #1
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Why do you keep buying more e-books?

As with most of us here, my TBR is big enough for at least the next 25 years, or if I would read everything I bought (thus reading each and every novel, play, and biography in the Delphi Classics, for example), my TBR would probably extend beyond my projected life span.

Still, I sometimes buy a new book, or start reading a public domain book that was previously not on the list. I can understand that: monkey see book, monkey read book (if it's interesting), moving it to the top of the TBR pile.

However, there probably are people around here who have thousands of books already, one or more subscriptions such as Baen or Robot Trading Company, AND library cards, who are still actively buying and seeking out new books.

What I'd like to know: if you have so many books already that you can't possibly read all of them, why do you still buy more? (And I don't mean one book to read right now because you feel like it, but by the batch; be they free or paid, that doesn't matter.)

And there are people around here doing just that, or there wouldn't be an e-book addiction self-help thread

Does e-books set people to hoarding, in a way paper books (mostly...) don't, just because they don't take any extra physical space?
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:12 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I don't have a formal TBR. I acquire* ebooks to immediately read--one at a time, usually.

*That's not code for "steal." I mean buy or download for free legally.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2016, 05:36 PM   #3
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
If one goes on sale cheap that I've been wanting to read, I get it, even if it might be a while before I read it. Hmm, not so much now because I have Scribd but sometimes.

Free ones I just get if they look like I would read them regardless of my TBR list. I read what I want when I want. I don't care about the list.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:53 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I've slowed down on my acquisitions a lot. Now I only buy a book if I really, really want to read it, and it falls under $5.99. I used to grab anything from my wishlist if it came below $5.99, now I re-read the description and think about the odds that I'm ever going to actually read it. I don't think I'm going to outlive the TBR pile I have of books I already own.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:58 PM   #5
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
It's a sickness, I tell you, a sickness.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2016, 06:08 PM   #6
Historiann
Connoisseur
Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Historiann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
It's a sickness, I tell you, a sickness.
You'll get no argument from me on that point. In addition to being a sucker for books on sale, I keep buying because I have a fear of somehow being stranded without something to read. What happens if I'm stuck at home for a long period b/c of illness or some disaster that cuts me off from the outside world? Suppose I'm traveling and get stranded en route? Now, neither of these scenarios has ever come to pass nor is it likely to, but I always make sure my kindle is well-stocked. Before I acquired an e-reader, I bought paper books. My house is filled with them and I used to always have extras in my luggage when I traveled. Thank goodness that was in the days before airlines charged baggage fees and began enforcing weight limits.
Historiann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:21 PM   #7
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Ebooks are the ultimate 'impulse buy' for readers -- they take up no room in your house, your ereader doesn't get too heavy to carry around, and you never have to hunt for something to read.

Plus those annoying comments from jealous friends/relatives about your 'decorating with books' become fewer ...
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:24 PM   #8
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
The triumph of hope (i.e. that I'll actually get to them) over experience.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:58 PM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I would say that my new purchases fall into a couple of categories.

First, new books that I read right away.
Second, replacing dead tree books with ebooks.

The vast majority of my purchases right now are the later. I read a lot faster than my favorite authors can write. Of course, I still have a day job as well as teach at night, so I expect that once I retire or stop teaching, I'll have a lot more time to read. I don't think that having too many books to read will be an issue.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:08 PM   #10
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have a lot of books already, more than I can ever read, so when I buy one it's usually because it improves my selection. When it's time tor pick my next book I have another one to choose from that seems a likely candidate.

Yes I waste money on books I'll probably never get to but it's pretty hard to feel bad about that. If it is a sickness it seems to me to be a good one that I hope I don't get over.

Also as Nicky said, when something I think I'll probably read goes on sale I'm likely to buy it. I've read all the 87th Precinct books, for example, mostly decades ago and I'm sure I'll eventually read them all again. I have several and when another goes on sale I buy it. I'm reading them in order now, about 3 or 4 a year. I'm only 76 so I'm pretty sure I'll have time to get through the next 40 or 50.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:35 PM   #11
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
There are plenty of ways to rationalize it. Like: it's something you want to read NOW. It's on sale. Nice to have choices when deciding what to read next. Etc.

Then there are the sub rational reasons, which may be the real driver for most of our behavior.

Like: Hoarding instinct. It makes sense when you come across something to collect it as you don't know if it'll be there when you need it. From there, it is easy to lapse into just acquiring things.

Like: being over optimistic in estimating how much you can read, or for that matter, how long you'll be around to read it all. Maybe it's a hedge against mortality. (I always think of the scene in Moonstruck where the Olympia Dukakis character tells a womanizer something like "you know no matter how many girls you sleep with, you're still going to die, right?")

Like: we're socially conditioned to take what's given and then more. Up until age three or so, children will just stop eating when they're full. If you try to give them more food, they'll turn their face away or spit it out. When they get older they'll tend to eat what's put in front of them. A good way to trick yourself into eating less is to just use smaller serving dish.

Like: your brain digs it. We're always hearing how X is like heroin. Chocolate is like crack. Shopping is like crack. Which is ridiculous and of course not true, except in so far as chocolate and crack both light up some of the same reward pathways in your brain. Point and click shopping just makes it too easy to get that little dopamine hit. Having it pop right up into your reader? Potent. And if that isn't enough for you, throw in 3G so you can get your fix anywhere any time
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:08 PM   #12
cats2books
Enthusiast
cats2books doesn't littercats2books doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 11, iPad Pro 12.9 and 9.7
I have become much more selective in my ebook purchases. I found that when I had too many books to choose from it was difficult to make a choice. It's just easier to make a decision when there are fewer choices.
cats2books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:20 PM   #13
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I don't have a formal TBR. I acquire* ebooks to immediately read--one at a time, usually.

*That's not code for "steal." I mean buy or download for free legally.
Same here. I have only a few (less than half a dozen) purchased but as yet unread ebooks.

The rest of my TBR is in the form of wishlists on Overdrive and ebook stores. I won't buy or borrow them until I'm ready to read them.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:24 PM   #14
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I consider ebooks a much better addiction than paper books. They take up no physical room in my home and I can delete them from my ereader and forget them if they're bad. Unlike a paper book where I used to regularly haul home boxes and then haul boxes of them out to Goodwill or the library booksale. Much less effort with an ebook.

I only buy books on sale or with a gift card. Freebies, I'll pick up if they sound interesting but I don't care if I read them or not. I never know what I'll be in the mood to read next, nothing better than having 300 books at my fingertips to choose from.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:31 PM   #15
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I have a pretty modest TBR, most of which are freebies -- I do read even the freebies.

If I see something I want to read right now and it's on a limited time sale I'll buy it. Otherwise, I'll only buy a book if it's at a good price and I either specifically want that book or it's part of a series I'm interested in.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote